Alonso unimpressed by Red Bull pace

3 Comments

Despite trailing SebastianVettel by 22 points in the drivers’ championship, Fernando Alonso has said that he is unimpressed by Red Bull’s pace in the first two races.

“I don’t think Red Bull was too impressive.

“In Australia they dominated all sessions and had a pretty spectacular pace, [in the Malaysian GP] we knew they had problems with degradation and in fact Mercedes was fighting with them until the end.”

When speaking to Autosport, Alonso expressed his confidence in Ferrari’s 2013 title challenge, despite his failure to finish in Malaysia.

“I think we could have been on the podium [in Malaysia]. If we have a weekend with normal conditions, let’s hope we have a good qualifying and pick up good points.

“In China and Bahrain we were ninth and seventh last year, so this year is relatively easy to improve on that, and if we arrive in Europe with three podiums it will be good for our morale.”

Ferrari’s 2012 campaign was hindered by their car, but Alonso managed to finish second in the championship, just three points behind eventual champion Vettel. Therefore, the start the team has made encourages the 2005 and 2006 world champion, although he did admit the first few races are difficult to judge.

“The first two races have been very unstable and we don’t really know the positions of the cars yet. We haven’t seen anyone’s potential yet in qualifying and we don’t really knew where we are.”

Ferrari’s gamble with Alonso failed to pay off in Malaysia, with the team opting not to pit the Spaniard despite his front wing suffering damage on lap one of the race. On lap two, the front wing came loose and went underneath Alonso’s car, causing him to career into the gravel and retire from the race. However, if Ferrari can perform well in China and Bahrain, they will be well placed to challenge Red Bull for the title in 2013.

Bill Elliott joins Tony Stewart/Ray Evernham SRX series for 2021

Jeff Robinson/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

NASCAR Hall of Famer Bill Elliott became the eighth driver to join the Superstar Racing Experience, the short-track series being started by Ray Evernham and Tony Stewart.

The two-time Daytona 500 winner and 1988 NASCAR Cup Series champion was inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2015 and was voted NASCAR’s most popular driver 16 times (his son, Chase, has received the honor the past two years). Elliott also closed his full-time Cup career driving for Evernham’s Dodge team from 2001-03, winning the 2002 Brickyard 400.

“I am excited to reunite with Ray Evernham and some of the great legends of our sport,” Elliott, who joins Stewart and Bobby Labonte as NASCAR Hall of Famers in the SRX, said in a release. “I look forward to racing at some of the most historic American racing destinations and putting on an awesome show for the fans. We have a special driver field and it will be fun competing with some of the greatest drivers of all time.”

The series, which is expecting to have a dozen drivers, also has Tony Stewart, Helio Castroneves, Bobby Labonte, Paul Tracy, Tony Kanaan, Willy T. Ribbs and Mark Webber in its lineup.

SRX was co-founded by NASCAR Hall of Famers Stewart and Evernham and was unveiled July 13.

Several drivers have expressed interest in the new circuit, which is modeled on the International Race of Champions (IROC) series that matched drivers from various auto racing disciplines in equally prepared cars for an annual four-race series for 30 years.

With the addition of Bill Elliott, Superstar Racing Experience has yet to reveal a schedule or tracks, but it’s expected that Stewart’s Eldora Speedway will be on the slate.