Horner: Webber would have done the same

2 Comments

Christian Horner has defended Sebastian Vettel’s overtake of Mark Webber in the Malaysian Grand Prix, claiming that the Australian driver would have made the same move had the roles been reversed.

“If Mark Webber had been in that position… we have seen him do the same. Let’s not kid ourselves that this is something unique to Sebastian,” Horner told the Daily Mail.

“He is a race driver, a fiercely competitive individual. You don’t win 27 Grands Prix and three world championships without being a very driven individual.”

Horner had previously called Vettel’s move “silly”, refusing to take the side of either driver. However, following criticism from many members of the paddock, Horner has spoken out to defend triple-champion Vettel, but he did admit that it is impossible to control his drivers on track.

“At times you do not have control of them, as much as you would like to. All you rely on is that they respect each other, the team and the equipment.”

Regardless, Horner believes that Vettel and Webber can still work together well, and repair their relationship in order to prevent Red Bull’s championship challenge being negatively affected.

“They have won three constructors’ championships for the team. As a pairing they have been one of the most successful in Formula One history.

“In three months you go from winning a double world championship in Austin and Brazil, then suddenly it is a drama and a crisis despite a one-two finish in the second grand prix.”

Horner’s comments will only fuel the rumors that Webber could be set to leave Red Bull at the end of the season, backing up his claim on the podium that Vettel has “protection.”

INDYCAR: Patricio O’Ward turns heads in Carlin debut

Chris Jones / IndyCar
2 Comments

While the top story coming out of Sunday’s IndyCar Classic at Circuit of the Americas is undoubtedly 18-year-old Colton Herta’s victory in only his third IndyCar start, another teenager made quite some noise during the first IndyCar race at the facility.

19-year-old Patricio O’Ward made an impressive start to his 2019 IndyCar campaign by starting and finishing in eighth position. It was the first of his 13 races this season for Carlin Racing.

“I think it was a pretty good race for us. We ended exactly where we started and didn’t go backwards, so I’d say that was a successful day” O’Ward said. “I know the No. 31 Carlin Chevrolet had a top-five finish in it today and even though we couldn’t make it happen, it’s nice to know that we have the pace and can be fighting up front with the veteran drivers.”

O’Ward, the 2018 Indy Lights champ, made his series debut for Harding Steinbrenner Racing at last year’s season finale at Sonoma Raceway, where he made it to the Firestone Fast Six in qualifying and finished ninth. O’Ward was scheduled to race for the team full-time in 2019, but left in early February to pursue other options due to a lack of sponsorship.

Pato found a new home with Carlin, and despite missing preseason testing, he proved to be competitive from the get go and pressured some of IndyCar’s more tenured drivers, including Graham Rahal.

In what was undoubtedly the most daring move of the race, O’Ward ended a great battle with Rahal by hitting a superb outside pass on Lap 15.

O’Ward may have likely earned a better result on Sunday, if he didn’t have to save fuel in order to make the finish.

But with only two IndyCar starts to his credit, he is already racing like a seasoned veteran. Sunday’s IndyCar Classic may be the first of many successful outings for him this year.

After the race, he tweeted to his team: “Well done gentlemen … This is only the beginning.”

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter