Brazilian GP set to leave Interlagos?

3 Comments

Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt on Interlagos hosting the Brazilian Grand Prix beyond 2015.

The historic track in Sao Paulo has become a favorite among drivers and fans alike, with the high speed straights creating some thrilling racing. Interlagos has slotted in towards the end of the F1 calendar since 2004, with the championship being decided in Brazil on six occasions since then. However, Ecclestone could be set to terminate the track’s contract in favor of a race in Rio.

“I’ve been unhappy with Sao Paulo for some time, because the facilities need a big facelift,” Ecclestone told the Mail on Sunday.

“We could be in Rio for the Olympic year.”

Rio is set to host the Olympic Games in 2016, and the city will also play a large part in the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, making the rate of development in the area rapid. Ecclestone is keen on taking advantage of this, and he has already negotiated the idea with the mayor of the city.

“The mayor has told me they can get it done.”

F1 supremo Ecclestone has frequently toyed with the idea of locating a Grand Prix around an Olympic park, with the Russian Grand Prix (planned for 2014) set to take place around the site of the Winter Olympics in Sochi. Ecclestone also lobbied for the rights to the Olympic stadium in London in order to stage a race around the Stratford area.

However, moving away from Interlagos is unlikely to be a popular move, but it could be the impetus for the track owners to upgrade the facilities to meet Ecclestone’s standards.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.