Russian racer Vitaly Petrov, who was dropped by Caterham following the 2012 campaign, is currently looking at a potential return to Formula One next season.
The “Vyborg Rocket” and his manager, Oksana Kosachenko, split apart when the former lost out on his drive and the latter was kept on at Caterham as its new commercial director. But despite those setbacks, Petrov isn’t ready to give up on Formula One.
“Of course, I’ll try to find some outlets for negotiations with different teams,” he said in comments to F1News.ru. “At first, there was stress but now I’m more or less rested and set to work at looking for a place for 2014.”
“I will sort out who works with me and for whom I’ll be working next year. There will be some changes that I do not want to take about it but in the near future it will become clearer.”
Petrov’s 11th place finish in last year’s season finale at Brazil enabled Caterham to steal 10th place (and a substantial amount of money) away from Marussia in the all-important constructor’s championship. But despite that accomplishment and besting then-teammate Heikki Kovalainen in four of the last five events of 2012, both men wound up being replaced by sophomore Charles Pic and rookie Giedo van der Garde for 2013.
Petrov also has two years of experience higher up the pecking order at Renault (2010, 2011).
ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).
“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.
“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”
For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.
“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.
“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”
Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.
“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.