NASCAR’s Pit Crew Challenge axed per lack of sponsorship

1 Comment

NASCAR’s All-Star Pit Crew Challenge has been axed for 2013 due to a lack of sponsorship.

The precursor to the qualifying session for the Sprint All-Star Race began in 2005. Craftsman and Sprint served as the event sponsors, but Sprint reallocated its resources to the Daytona preseason race, the Sprint Unlimited, starting this year.

Pit crews serviced cars out on an arena floor and advanced through stages of competition until the finals. It set the order for pit stall selection for the All-Star Race.

NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp told the Sporting News he hopes the event will go on just a one-year hiatus and return as early as 2014.

Fernando Alonso unsure when he will chase Triple Crown at Indy 500

Getty Images
Leave a comment

LE CASTELLET, France (AP) — Still glowing from his win at the 24 Hours Le Mans, Fernando Alonso says he is not sure when he will try to complete motorsport’s unofficial Triple Crown with a victory at the Indianapolis 500.

Alonso says Thursday ahead of Formula One’s French Grand Prix that “I am still digesting a little bit the Le Mans win and (.) not taking too much into account (for) next year’s project.”

The two-time F1 world champion won the Le Mans classic endurance race last weekend together with teammates Kazuki Nakajima and Sebastien Buemi.

That leaves the Spaniard only one leg short of completing the Triple Crown of wins at Le Mans, Indy 500 and F1’s Monaco GP, which he has won twice.

Alonso raced the Indy 500 for the first time last year but an engine failure with 20 laps left ruined his chances.