Mark Webber excluded from qualifying

9 Comments
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Mark Webber has been excluded from qualifying for the Chinese Grand Prix after his car failed to return to the pits due to a fuel shortage.

The Red Bull driver was forced to stop out on track during Q2 due to a fuel shortage, although he did manage to qualify 14th thanks to the time he had already set. However, Webber will now start from the back of the grid following the ruling from the FIA.

Cars are required to produce a fuel sample at the end of each session for the FIA, and the governing body has ruled that Webber would not have been able to supply this had he returned to the pits.

The team have confirmed that his car was under-fueled due to a technical problem.

“A fuel browser problem caused an incorrect fuel measurement to be delivered to Mark’s car,” the team revealed on Twitter.

This is a similar problem to the one Sebastian Vettel faced at last year’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, where he received the same penalty as Webber has today.

However, Webber was well aware that he could face such a sanction.

“It was a lack of fuel pressure so I couldn’t get back, so we stopped the car and qualifying was over before it started really,” he explained to the media.

“We’ll see what the rules are. I’m sure we’ll go through the process. It may be a double whammy.”

Webber will be able to start on fresh tires tomorrow, but the Australian driver did not hide his disappointment over the result.

“I think everyone’s in a similar boat saving tires. The option is not really the tire for this track. It’s completely wrong.”

To make the situation all the more painful for Webber, he believes that he could have challenged the front runners for pole position, which was eventually claimed by Lewis Hamilton.

“This is disappointing. Q1 went very well for me and the car has been quick all weekend.”

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

F1: Red Bull Racing confirms switch to Honda engines next season

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Honda will become Red Bull’s engine supplier from next season after the Formula One team confirmed its anticipated split with Renault on Tuesday.

The Japanese manufacturer will supply engines for 2019 and 2020, and Red Bull team principal Christian Horner hailed the deal as “an exciting new phase” in the bid to return to the top of F1.

“After careful consideration and evaluation, we are certain this partnership with Honda is the right direction for the team,” Horner said in a team statement. “We have been impressed by Honda’s commitment to F1, by the rapid steps they have made in recent times with our (feeder) team Toro Rosso.”

It is a boost for Honda, which was unceremoniously dumped by McLaren at the end of last year.

Honda has started this season brightly as engine provider for Toro Rosso, and this may have been a key factor in Red Bull finally ditching Renault.

“Honda’s alignment with both Red Bull Formula One teams provides enormous potential,” Horner said. “Honda will have access to a wealth of data from both outfits, with Aston Martin Red Bull Racing leading the way, and the opportunities for faster, more effective and more competitive development are doubled.”

The deal brings to an end Red Bull’s 12-year partnership with Renault.

Although relations became increasingly strained between the two parties in recent years, it was once a dream partnership as Red Bull and Renault won four straight drivers’ and constructors’ championships with Sebastian Vettel behind the wheel from 2010-13.

During that glory era, Vettel and teammate Mark Webber won 47 grand prix. Since 2013, results have somewhat dried up and there have been only 10 race wins.

“We have sometimes had our differences but Renault has always worked tirelessly and to the best of its ability to provide us with a competitive power unit,” Horner said.

He was not always quite so complimentary about Renault. He has regularly and publicly criticized Renault’s reliability in recent years – although it has been hard to judge sometimes.

Red Bull showed good speed toward the end of last season when Max Verstappen won two races, and teammate Daniel Ricciardo won this season’s Chinese GP with a brilliant drive. The difference in speed between Red Bull and Mercedes appears less than before, although Ferrari remains noticeably quicker.

Verstappen’s form has picked up after a poor start to 2018, marred by crashes, and he has taken third place in two of the past three races.

Meanwhile, McLaren’s partnership with Renault has not been as successful as they anticipated after dropping Honda following three fruitless seasons together.

Two-time F1 champion Fernando Alonso has failed to finish the past two races and has yet to place higher than fifth. Renault teammate Nico Hulkenberg has a best finish of fourth place.