Long Beach flashback: Power hangs on in 2012

Leave a comment

Last year’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach saw Will Power overcome a 10-spot grid penalty and hold off a hard-charging Simon Pagenaud in the closing laps to win at the famous street circuit for the second time.

Power and all the other Chevrolet-powered drivers were forced to take those penalties because of the Bowtie’s decision to swap all of its engines. In a test session at Sonoma Raceway just days before the event weekend, issues were discovered on James Hinchcliffe’s Chevy powerplant that the manufacturer felt could affect every driver within its ranks.

At the start of the race, Power was 12th but still made his way through the field with the help of a two-stop strategy. He took the lead on Lap 71 after Pagenaud made his third stop of the afternoon.

But the Frenchman was far from done. Coming out of the pits in fourth position, he quickly hacked into Power’s sizable advantage with laps that were more than a second quicker than the leaders. He hunted down Rubens Barrichello for third, then dusted Takuma Sato for second place with six laps left.

Unfortunately for Pagenaud, he simply ran out of time as Power held on to win by .87 of a second.

“We saved enough fuel to be able to push for the last two laps, so I felt we were pretty safe,” said Power. “The only thing was the couple of back markers there on the last [lap]. That was the only thing that really concerned me. But apart from that, it was just running as hard as I possibly could, getting a good lap time with high fuel mileage, and that was the key to the race.”

Despite the engine penalties, Chevy-powered drivers earned four of the top five spots at the finish: Power in first, Hinchcliffe in third, Tony Kanaan in fourth, and J.R. Hildebrand in fifth.

You can catch the 2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach next Sunday at 4 p.m. ET on the NBC Sports Network.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.