Paul di Resta optimistic for Bahrain Grand Prix

1 Comment

Paul di Resta has every reason to feel quietly confident for this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix after finishing 5th in both free practice sessions today.

The Force India driver has made a good start to the season, and he recovered from an early run-in with teammate Adrian Sutil in China to finish 8th. di Resta believes that a repeat performance in Bahrain is not out of the question.

“We’ve had a constructive day,” he told Sky Sports. “I think from lap one the car has worked well. We’ve had issues we’ve had to address and there were points where it was more difficult in FP2, but eventually we worked back to the level we were at in FP1.

“We’re fairly content that we could repeat what we did in Malaysia with the heat, and it’s naturally proving the car works much better in these conditions.”

Force India has made a good start to the 2013 season, with Adrian Sutil leading at the Australian Grand Prix after perfecting his strategy. The car certainly appears to be kind on its tires, and di Resta is also happy with his long run pace.

“I can say that, even on long runs, if we qualified anywhere in the top ten then I’m fairly happy of a repeat of a decent race.

“I would certainly like to think that Q3 is well on our list, where we are at the moment.”

di Resta finished last year’s race in P6, fending off Fernando Alonso towards the end, and he will be keen on repeating this performance as he looks to impress some of the more established teams during his third season in Formula One. The team certainly appears to be in a position to battle for points, and underperforming McLaren will undoubtedly act as a yard stick for Force India this weekend.

MORE: Watch qualifying and the Bahrain Grand Prix online or on your phone or tablet

Helio Castroneves ‘hustling’ for IndyCar, IMSA rides; talking with four to five teams

Helio Castroneves IMSA IndyCar
IMSA
Leave a comment

As his season gathers steam, Helio Castroneves said his prospects for finding new rides for 2021 in IMSA and IndyCar also are gaining momentum.

The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner said Monday he is optimistic about landing in either or perhaps a combination of both series when Team Penske and Acura end their DPi partnership after this season.

“A lot of people I spoke with, four to five teams, are interested,” Castroneves said. “Whether it’s doing Indy 500 only, whether it’s pushing to do full time or do the sports cars as well. It’s been a very nice conversation.

LOOKING AHEADTeam Penske drivers seeking new rides for 2021

“I have a lot of respect for all the teams that have been talking, and I feel the same feedback. We just have to wait for their (sponsor) connections, and I’m also looking for some connections on my side as well, so hopefully we’ll be able to put this together and get something very soon.”

Given two decades of success with Penske in IndyCar and IMSA, Castroneves’ resume hardly needs burnishing. But the Brazilian has combined with co-driver Ricky Taylor in the No. 7 Acura DPi to win the past two overall victories at Road America and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

But Castroneves, who doesn’t have a manager, said he has been working the phones hard rather than wait for the strong results to bring in the calls.

“At this point, I feel like I’m the one who needs to be talking to them because people need to know I want to continue racing and understand my desire,” Castroneves, 45, said. “There is opportunity, no question, in both (IndyCar and IMSA), which I’m really happy about it. However, because of the COVID-19, a lot of things sometimes have to be a little delayed. But I’m excited. Whatever the opportunity and whatever destiny guides me, whether IndyCar or sports cars, trust me I’ll be as happy as it could be and doing my 100 percent like I always did.

“It’s like politics, you need to be out there, good news or bad news. People have to make notice of your presence. I’m hustling. I want to continue to keep it going. Hopefully, we’ll have good news very soon.”

The news has been all good lately on track for Castroneves and Taylor, who hope to continue their run Sunday at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The No. 6 duo has surged to sixth in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship standings, 10 points out of the lead with four races remaining. After thinking there was “no hope” to be competitive after opening the season with three consecutive poor finishes, Taylor now sees an opportunity for a happy ending.

“With the program going away, Helio has won all the big races and given so much back to the team and left such a mark, he’s really part of Penske history,” Taylor said. “For me, it’s been an opportunity of a lifetime to be a part of it. I’d like to leave my little mark as well. Helio has won everything except for a championship.

“Obviously, we’ve won races already together, but we can win a championship now. I think if both of us can do that together and both win our first championship for ‘The Captain,’ that would be an absolute dream come true, and we can tie a bow on it and be happy.”