Lotus driver Romain Grosjean believes that he is in a position to challenge for big results following a difficult start to the season.
The Frenchman has scored points in every race so far this year, and he claimed his first podium in 2013 last time out in Bahrain. Grosjean believes that this result is the turning point in his season, having taken time to get to grips with the Lotus E21 car.
“We’ve had consistency already, finishing every race in the points, but now it’s the big results we’re chasing and getting the car as I want it has been a vital ingredient,” Grosjean explained to the official Formula One website. “Now I have the tools that I want at my disposal I can really push. In some ways you can say my season starts now!”
Grosjean also underlined the importance of the team working closely together in order to challenge for both championships this season. In the constructors, Lotus currently sit P2, whilst Kimi Raikkonen is the closest challenger to drivers’ championship leader Sebastian Vettel.
“If we keep working the way we have been so far this season as a team I’m sure we can achieve great things.”
Qualifying has been Lotus’ achilles heel so far this season, but Grosjean is confident that a good result is possible at next weekend’s Spanish GP relying he can secure a good grid position.
“In Barcelona it will be important to qualify well as it will be much harder to overtake than in Bahrain. As a team, this is an area where we can still improve a little bit, but we have some ideas of how to do that and hopefully we’ll be able to make the front row.”
With four podiums now to his name, Grosjean will be expected by many to claim his first grand prix victory in 2013. If he can grace the top step of the podium, Lotus may be in a position to challenge Red Bull for the constructors’ championship.
Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.
Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.
HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar
Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.
“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.
“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”
The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.
Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.
That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.