Mark Miles: Indy road course would be improved

5 Comments

Continuing to think about using the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s road course for an IZOD IndyCar Series event in 2014, Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles has said that improvements would be made to the 2.6-mile circuit if such an event comes to fruition.

According to The Indianapolis Star’s Curt Cavin, Miles isn’t ready yet to commit to the race and has shied away from the idea of tagging it as the season finale. However, he calls the potential event “a solid business venture” and says his organization is willing to put in the money needed to improve the infield section of Indy’s not-so-highly regarded road course, which has hosted Formula One, MotoGP and GRAND-AM (pictured) over the years. The course utilizes Turn 4 and the frontstretch of the Brickyard’s famous oval.

“We will certainly spend money to make improvements, make it a better example of that genre,” Miles said according to Cavin.

Miles also indicated that he’d like to use the potential IMS road race as part of a three-race ending to the season; a three-race “playoff” was one of the suggestions made by Boston Consulting Group earlier this year toward the Hulman-George family on how to raise IndyCar’s profile (although that suggestion did have the IMS road race designated as the season finale).

In particular, Miles would like each of the three races to emphasize the different disciplines of the series — ovals, road courses and street courses — and have more importance overall as well.

“We want to put more points for the championship on those three, we want to have great television coverage, and we want to have more money at stake,” said Miles.

Dutch Grand Prix becomes fourth Formula 1 race canceled this season

EM VAN DER WAL/ANP/AFP via Getty Images
Leave a comment

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands — The Dutch Grand Prix became the fourth Formula One race canceled this season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, after organizers decided Thursday they didn’t want to play host to an event without spectators.

It was to be the first Dutch GP since 1985, but F1 wants to start the season with no spectators at races.

“We would like to celebrate this moment, the return of Formula 1 in Zandvoort, together with our racing fans in the Netherlands,” race director Jan Lammers said in a statement. “We ask everyone to be patient. I had to look forward to it for 35 years, so I can wait another year.”

The race in Zandvoort was set for May 3 and initially postponed. Fans who bought tickets can use them next year.

The coastal circuit has been redesigned, with some corners banked to facilitate faster racing.

The other races canceled this year were the season-opening Australian GP on March 15; the Monaco GP on May 24; and the French GP on June 28.

Another six have been postponed.

F1 organizers still hope to reschedule those and hold 15 to 18 races this season, starting in July with back-to-back races at the Austrian GP.