Conway’s bid for IndyCar sweep in Detroit comes up short

1 Comment

Starting from pole in the second Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit race today at Belle Isle, Mike Conway once again appeared to have the car to beat after destroying the field in yesterday’s first doubleheader race. But a potential sweep in the Motor City – which would’ve also earned him a $50,000 bonus – was not to be for the Dale Coyne Racing driver, who had to settle for third place behind race winner Simon Pagenaud and fellow Englishman James Jakes in second.

Nonetheless, Conway, in a one-off role for DCR this weekend on Belle Isle, showed just how much of a dynamite road/street racer he is. He insists that he’ll never again race an open-wheel machine on an oval – something he gave up shortly before last year’s season finale at Fontana, California – but when it comes to racing on IndyCar’s twisty tracks, he’s now thoroughly established himself as a force to be reckoned with.

Conway momentarily lost the lead to Will Power while A.J. Allmendinger crashed on the opening lap, but got it right back on the next restart and maintained it through the ragged opening stages of Race 2. He and Scott Dixon pitted from first and second positions during the caution after a 10-car pileup on Lap 28, and Conway would eventually cycle back to the front on Lap 40 when Tristan Vautier abandoned the lead to come to pit road.

Six laps later, Conway was passed by Charlie Kimball just before he made his final stop of the day on Lap 47. When everything shook out following the stops, Conway was left in third position behind Jakes. As Pagenaud widened his insurmountable lead in the closing circuits, the two Brits battled for the runner-up spot before Jakes won out narrowly.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Conway. “It didn’t quite go our way today though. The right rear tire went down on reds, and I lost spots to Kimball and later Pagenaud. On the blacks, I pushed as hard as I could. I passed like six cars in one lap at one point. We didn’t quite have enough at the end; used our last push-to-pass too early.”

His IndyCar work is done for now, with his next likely appearance at Toronto’s doubleheader in July – Conway all but confirmed it during the post-race press conference. In the interim, Conway will shift focus back to his full-time sports car duties in the FIA World Endurance Championship. He and his No. 26 G-Drive Racing Oreca/Nissan teammates Roman Rusinov and John Martin make up one of 22 LMP2 entries slated for this year’s running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans on June 22.

Zach Veach splits with Andretti Autosport for rest of IndyCar season

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
1 Comment

Zach Veach will be leaving his Andretti Autosport ride with three races remaining in the season, choosing to explore options after the decision was made he wouldn’t return for 2021.

In a Wednesday release, Andretti Autosport said a replacement driver for the No. 26 Dallara-Honda would be named in the coming days. The NTT IndyCar Series will race Oct. 2-3 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course and then conclude the season Oct. 25 on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida.

Veach was ranked 11th in the points standings through 11 races of his third season with Andretti. Since a fourth in the June 6 season opener at Texas Motor Speedway, he hadn’t finished higher than 14th.

“The decision was made that I will not be returning in 2021 with Andretti Autosport in the No. 26 Gainbridge car,” Veach said in the Andretti release. “This, along with knowing that limited testing exists for teams due to COVID, have led me to the decision to step out of the car for the remainder of the 2020 IndyCar season. I am doing this to allow the team to have time with other drivers as they prepare for 2021, and so that I can also explore my own 2021 options.

“This is the hardest decision I have ever made, but to me, racing is about family, and it is my belief that you take care of your family. Andretti Autosport is my family and I feel this is what is best to help us all reach the next step. I will forever be grateful to Michael and the team for all of their support over the years. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for a relationship that started many years ago with Road to Indy. I will also be forever grateful to Dan Towriss for his friendship and for the opportunity he and Gainbridge have given me.

“My love for this sport and the people involved is unmeasurable, and I look forward to continuing to be amongst the racing world and fans in 2021.”

Said team owner Michael Andretti: “We first welcomed Zach to the Andretti team back in his USF2000 days and have enjoyed watching him grow and evolve as a racer, and a person. His decision to allow us to use the last few races to explore our 2021 options shows the measure of his character.

“Zach has always placed team and family first, and we’re very happy to have had him as part of ours for so many years. We wish him the best in whatever 2021 may bring and will always consider him a friend.”

Andretti fields five full-time cars for Veach, Alexander Rossi, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti and Colton Herta.

It also has fielded James Hinchcliffe in three races this season.