A 38-year-old Canadian Grand Prix track worker has been pronounced dead after being run over by a crane in an incident at the end of Sunday’s race.
According to the Montreal Gazette, the worker – who has yet to be identified – was part of a crew tending to the stricken Sauber of Esteban Gutierrez near the Turn 1-2 complex of Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. As a crane was carrying Gutierrez’s machine, the worker stumbled while trying to pick up a radio that had gone to the ground and was then accidentally run over by the crane.
He was stabilized at the track and was then transported via helicopter to Sacre Coeur Hospital in Montreal, where he has succumbed to his injuries before planned surgery by doctors there.
“Unfortunately, the doctors in the trauma room noticed immediately that he had died,” Sacre Couer spokesperson Josée Michelle-Simard told the Gazette.
The worker is the third track marshal to have been killed since the 2000 season.
That year at the Italian Grand Prix, 33-year-old Paolo Ghislimberti was killed when he was hit by a wheel that had been sent over the barriers following a first-lap crash.
Then in 2001, Graham Beveridge died at the Australian Grand Prix after being struck by a wheel that went through a gap in the safety fence following a crash involving Jacques Villeneuve and Ralf Schumacher.
The FIA has issued a statement on today’s tragedy, in which themselves, the Canadian Grand Prix and the Automobile Club de L’Ile Notre-Dame sent their “deepest condolences” to the worker’s family.
Red Bull Racing, which won today’s race in Montreal with Sebastian Vettel, also did the same on Twitter. In addition, Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso, who finished second behind Vettel, has tweeted that the worker’s death was “terrible news.”
“Today there is nothing to celebrate. Terrible news arrive with the death of a marshal this race. Very sad. R.I.P.,” he said.