Webber: van der Garde move wasn’t clever

1 Comment

Mark Webber has hit out at Giedo van der Garde for ignoring blue flags during Sunday’s Canadian Grand Prix.

The Red Bull driver was trying to lap the Caterham at the hairpin, but van der Garde turned in sharply, spinning himself and causing damage to Webber’s front wing. Although the incident did not end Webber’s race, the Australian driver is still frustrated by the move.

“Obviously it was his fault and he got a time penalty for it, but then so do I because I have a damaged front wing,” Webber explained to Sky Sports.

van der Garde was handed a 10 second stop-go penalty for the incident, but Webber feels that the damage caused to his front wing was enough to lose him a podium position to Fernando Alonso.

“We had a lot of blue flags up at the hairpin and I was in his mirrors for on the long straight behind him and then we made contact. I couldn’t believe it. Fair enough if it had been for position, but when you are being lapped and the leaders are coming through battling for the top spots and you close the door it is not very clever.”

van der Garde eventually retired from the race after clashing with Nico Hulkenberg, with that incident set to be investigated by the Canadian stewards. Webber finished the race in 4th, but he was clearly disappointed not to have joined teammate Sebastian Vettel on the podium.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.