After it was confirmed earlier today that Mark Webber would be leaving Red Bull Racing and Formula One altogether at the end of the season, team boss Christian Horner has been among the first to wish the Australian driver the best of luck for his future endeavors.
“We support Mark’s decision, he has been an excellent addition to the team since joining us in 2007 and we wish him all the best in the next stages of his career,” Horner said in a team statement.
During his seven seasons with Red Bull, Webber has won nine races and three constructors’ championships, making him a valuable addition to the setup at Milton Keynes.
However, since the multi 21 fiasco in Malaysia, the exit has always appeared to be looming for Webber, and he will now join Porsche’s WEC and Le Mans team for 2014. Horner was sure that this was not a decision that Webber had taken lightly.
“I am sure Mark thought long and hard before making what has no doubt been a very difficult decision.
“His achievements in Formula One are extensive and I am sure he will continue to push hard and build on that record until the end of the season.”
Webber has not won since last year’s British Grand Prix, yet one may expect him to be pushing even harder for a 3rd victory at Silverstone this weekend.
ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).
“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.
“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”
For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.
“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.
“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”
Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.
“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.