Kyle Busch up and down on 1.5-mile tracks this season

Leave a comment

When it comes to the intermediate tracks this season, Kyle Busch has been either at the front of the field or behind the pit wall.

On home turf, “Rowdy” finished fourth at the first 1.5-mile oval of the year in Las Vegas and then scored the win at the next mile-and-a-half at Texas. But his last two runs on this type of track have ended in calamity; a crash with Joey Logano relegated him to a 38th-place finish at Kansas and in last month’s Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte, Busch’s engine let go, saddling him with another 38th-place result.

However, Kentucky Speedway represents a great opportunity for him to reach another peak on the mile-and-a-halves. He won the inaugural Cup race there in 2011 and led 118 laps in last year’s Quaker State 400 before finishing 10th. He’s also won at Kentucky in the Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series, as well as the lower-level ARCA stock car series.

“I like running here at Kentucky – why I run well here, I don’t know,” he said on Thursday. “It’s an interesting race track and it’s certainly challenging and tough, and it brings out the better drivers…You have to have a good-handling race car around here on the bumps, but you can detune the speed of your race car to get over the bumps better and slow your car down, which is not very good.

“You have to find the happy medium of that and I think [crew chief] Dave Rogers does a really good job of being able to help me with that as well as just being able to keep the speed in the car.”

Busch’s crew chief has his own winning pedigree at Kentucky as well. Rogers called Joey Logano’s 2008 and 2009 Nationwide victories there when the young driver was still with Joe Gibbs Racing; the former victory was Logano’s first triumph in NASCAR’s No. 2 series.

Tonight’s race will mark the end of a tripleheader weekend at Kentucky for Busch, who finished fifth in last night’s NNS race and third in Thursday night’s Truck event.

Report: Spencer Pigot out at Ed Carpenter Racing

Joe Skibinski / IndyCar
1 Comment

Spencer Pigot will not return to Ed Carpenter Racing in 2020, according to a story Thursday by RACER.com.

The 26-year-old Floridian, who won the 2015 Indy Lights championship, is expected to be replaced in the No. 21 Chevrolet by 2019 Indy Lights runner-up Rinus VeeKay.

“I’m appreciative of the opportunity ECR gave me,” Pigot told RACER.com. “I understand the reasons they had to go in a different direction, and wish them all the best.”

In 56 NTT IndyCar Series starts, Pigot has 15 top 10 finishes, with a best finish of second at Iowa in 2018. He finished 14th in the 2019 point standings.

VeeKay, who tested in an Indy car twice for ECR in 2019, has six wins in 18 Indy Lights starts, including a weekend sweep of the final two rounds of the season at Laguna Seca in September.

A representative from ECR told NBC Sports Thursday that the team currently could not comment on any driver rumors as the team currently does not have any drivers under contract for the 2020 season, although it is presumed that owner/driver Carpenter will return to the No. 20 entry for the oval rounds.

NBC Sports will provide updates on the story once more information becomes available.