“For safety reasons, we have been asked by Pirelli to ensure that the tires on all cars are run under the conditions listed below. It will be the responsibility of each team to satisfy the FIA technical delegate that their cars comply with the following requirements at all tiems:
1) Minimum starting pressure front and rear: 16 psi
2) Minimum stabilized running pressure front: 20 psi
3) Minimum stabilized running pressure rear: 19 psi
4) Maximum negative EOS camber front: 4.0 degrees
5) Maximum negative EOS camber rear: 2.5 degrees
6) Front and rear tires must be used on the side of the car for which they were originally designated (no swapping from side-to-side).
7) The blanket strategies must be observed.”
Perhaps the stand-out procedure here is point six, forbidding the swapping of tire location. Previously, teams would run the left-front tire on the right-front of the car in order to improve the durability of the tire, but Pirelli had cited this as being a possible reason for the fiasco that ensued at the British Grand Prix last weekend.
Furthermore, the imposition of such guidelines will only increase concerns that the tires may not be 100% safe, although a lot will be learnt during the first free practice session on Friday morning.
Lewis Hamilton receives Daytona 500 invitation from Bubba Wallace
Much would need to be worked out, starting with how much garage and grandstand access would be afforded for a 2021 season opener that likely would occur during a still ongoing novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
He was a spectator (with racing legend Mario Andretti) at four-time champion Jeff Gordon’s final Cup race as a full-time in the 2015 season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. In 2011, Hamilton swapped cars with three-time champion Tony Stewart at Watkins Glen International.
Having rubbed shoulders with other racing greats so often, it only would be fitting if Hamilton — who is one victory from tying Michael Schumacher’s career record and also could tie the F1 record with a seventh championship this season — spent some time with the greatest basketball player of all time.