Coyne confirms Conway for Toronto, Houston, and Mann for Fontana

Leave a comment

The biggest star of the Detroit doubleheader weekend will resume his part-time assault on the IZOD IndyCar Series this weekend in Toronto.

Mike Conway, who had been all but officially confirmed after his win and third-place finish in Detroit, will return to Dale Coyne Racing’s No. 18 Sonny’s BBQ Honda for the Toronto and Houston doubleheader weekends.

Conway finished third in Toronto last year, his only podium finish for A.J. Foyt Racing, and looks to go two spots better in either – or perhaps both – races of the Honda Indy.

“Hopefully we will pick up from where we left off in Detroit,” Conway said in a release. “Toronto is one of my favorite circuits so there is no reason why we can’t do well there. Houston will be new to a lot of people, however Dale Coyne and my teammate Justin (Wilson) raced there in Champ Car so I am hoping to get some good feedback from them!  They should both be really good weekends and I want to thank Dale for giving me another chance to be a part of it.”

Conway will be unable to race at Baltimore on Sept. 1 per his FIA World Endurance Championship commitments. Since Detroit, Pippa Mann (Texas and Pocono) and Ana Beatriz (Milwaukee and Iowa) have raced Coyne’s second car.

Mann was confirmed Monday to race the No. 18 Cyclops Gear Honda at Fontana. She finished a career-best 15th on Sunday in Pocono.

“Being a part of Dale Coyne Racing this year, and bringing Cyclops Gear to IndyCar has been such an amazing opportunity, and a great experience,” she said in a release. “I’ve had fun at every track I’ve had the opportunity to drive at, and I was pleased to bring home a top 15 for the team this time out in Pocono, and help them keep the No. 18 car up in the Leaders Circle points for 2014.”

Other candidates the rest of the year to fill the remaining races in the No. 18 car are James Davison and Stefan Wilson, who have each tested for Coyne this year but have not yet made their IndyCar race debuts.

Juncos Racing to field single car entry in Indy 500

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Part-time NTT IndyCar Series entrant Juncos Racing will announce their attempt to qualify for the 2019 Indianapolis 500 within the next few weeks, according to RACER.

The team, which made its Indy 500 debut in 2017, ran 12 of the 17 IndyCar Series races last season, but has only made a start in one of the four events so far in 2019, finishing 18th in the inaugural running of the IndyCar Classic at Circuit of the Americas with Kyle Kaiser behind the wheel.

Though no driver has yet to be announced for the single-car entry, Kaiser is expected to be the leading candidate for the ride. The 23-year-old Californian has raced for the team since 2014, where he won the 2017 Indy Lights championship.

One of the top teams in the Road to Indy ladder system, Juncos Racing has over 50 wins between Indy Lights and Indy Pro 2000 competition. The team’s most recent victory came in the second Indy Lights race at St. Petersburg this year with Rinus VeeKay behind the wheel.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter