Consistent Castroneves seeks a Toronto breakthrough

Leave a comment

Helio Castroneves is putting together another consistent season, as he continues his quest for his elusive first IZOD IndyCar Series championship with Team Penske.

In 11 races, the series points leader has 10 top-10 finishes and a win at Texas. But he needs to keep pushing heading into the Honda Indy Toronto (3 p.m. ET Saturday and Sunday on NBC Sports Network) if he wants to hold off the surge of Andretti Autosport drivers behind him. Ryan Hunter-Reay currently sits second, 23 points back.

“Whenever you’re leading the championship, when it’s by 1 point or 100 points, it’s always good news,” Castroneves said Tuesday in a teleconference. “Of course, we still have a long way, eight more races to go, a lot of points in the game. We’ve got to keep doing what we’re doing because right now, it’s keeping us up there.”

Toronto has been something of a bogey track for Castroneves. In eight prior starts, he has only two top-10 finishes, with a best result of sixth last year.

“The Toronto track is a traditional place, very, very tight,” he said. “The track is very technical, as well. Plus we’re going to be standing start (for Race 1), so it’s also another trick, something else for us to think about. But in the end of the day, we know what we need to do. Hopefully we put ourselves in good qualifying so we can start at the front.”

Until his win in Edmonton last year, his first in Canada in 15 years in the top level of open-wheel racing, Castroneves and controversy in Canada went together like a box of Timbits and a “double-double.”

In 2009 at Toronto, he and native son Paul Tracy collided out of Turn 3 when battling for the lead, and Castroneves exited his car to a chorus of boos. That prompted apologies.

But Castroneves had every right to feel aggrieved a year later in Edmonton, when he took a defensive line on a restart while leading Will Power and Scott Dixon, but was then called for blocking by then-IndyCar race director Brian Barnhart.

Castroneves, irate, leapt from his car and stormed after IndyCar security chief Charles Burns, grabbing Burns’ chest. Burns was more amused by the reaction than frustrated, since Burns is a seriously large individual.

Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett proclaims Monday ‘Scott Dixon Day’

IndyCar
Leave a comment

IndyCar media release:

INDIANAPOLIS (Monday, Sept. 24, 2018) – Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett has declared today, Monday, Sept. 24, 2018, “Scott Dixon Day” in the city to honor the IndyCar driver’s great accomplishments.

According to the proclamation, which went into effect at 12:01 a.m., Dixon, an Indianapolis resident, is being honored for his legendary racing career, which includes winning the 92nd Indianapolis 500 in 2008 and five Verizon IndyCar Series championships. Dixon won his fifth championship on Sept. 16 at Sonoma Raceway in California. With that fifth title, the 38-year-old New Zealand native is second in total number of Indy car championships behind only A.J. Foyt.

The proclamation honors Dixon on the same day as the world premiere of the documentary, “BORN RACER,” at the IMAX Theater in the Indiana State Museum. The film, which takes an in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at Dixon’s 2017 racing season, will be available nationwide on DVD and digital download on Oct. 2. For more information about “BORN RACER,” visit bornracermovie.com.

INDYCAR is using the hashtags #DixonDay and #BornRacerMovie on its social platforms to highlight the landmark day for the five-time champion.

The proclamation of “Scott Dixon Day” from Mayor Hogsett reads:

TO ALL WHOM THESE PRESENTS MAY COME, GREETINGS:

WHEREAS, Scott Dixon, a native of New Zealand, brought his racing talents to Indianapolis 20 years ago, where he still lives with his wife, Emma, and their two daughters Poppy and Tilly; and

WHEREAS, in 2008, Scott won the 92nd Indianapolis 500 from pole position, and throughout his impressive career, he has won 44 IndyCar races, placing him third on the all-time IndyCar wins list; and

WHEREAS, on September 16, 2018 in Sonoma, California, Scott made history when he won his fifth IndyCar championship, becoming the runner-up for total number of IndyCar championships behind the legendary A.J. Foyt. He is also the longest-tenured driver to compete for the Chip Ganassi Racing team, completing his 17th season with the team in 2018; and

WHEREAS, today, the City of Indianapolis celebrates Scott Dixon’s growing list of racing accomplishments with the world premiere of “Born Racer,” a documentary about his career and the Chip Ganassi Racing team, at the Indiana State Museum, and we honor Scott for his incomparable accomplishments in racing;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH H. HOGSETT, MAYOR OF THE CITY OF INDIANAPOLIS, DO HEREBY PROCLAIM SEPTEMBER 24, 2018 TO BE: SCOTT DIXON DAY in the City of Indianapolis, and I ask all citizens to join me in this observation.