Ayrton Senna won the British Grand Prix in appalling conditions on this day 25 years ago.
Home hero Nigel Mansell charged to a brilliant second place for Williams. But Senna’s team mate Alain Prost found the conditions too wet and withdrew from the proceedings.
Unusually for the 1988 season the McLaren pair had been kept from the front row by the two Ferraris. Gerhard Berger led the opening laps while Senna found his way past Michele Alboreto.
Behind them Prost had dropped back and an entertaining battle developed between Mauricio Gugelmin and Alessandro Nannini, the pair soon joined by the flying Mansell.
Senna caught and passed Berger when the Ferrari driver was briefly held up lapping Prost (though as the video above shows commentator James Hunt didn’t immediately register the significance of the action replay). The championship leader later pulled into the pits and retired while his team mate claimed his fourth victory of the year.
But the star of the race was Mansell, who picked off a string of rivals in his underpowered Williams-Judd. It was no repeat of his inspired triumph at the track 12 months earlier, brought it brought some cheer to the rain-lashed crowd.
Nannini claimed third for Benetton ahead of Gugelmin’s March. Nelson Piquet was fifth for Lotus ahead of Derek Warwick, his Arrows the sixth different constructor in the top six points-paying positions.
ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).
“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.
“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”
For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.
“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.
“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”
Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.
“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.