Charlie Kimball could be one to watch again in Toronto

Leave a comment

Coming off a runner-up performance last weekend at Pocono Raceway, “Big Mo” could be on Charlie Kimball’s side this weekend as he returns to Toronto – where he turned in his first IZOD IndyCar Series podium finish one year ago.

In last year’s battle at Exhibition Place, the third-year pilot for Chip Ganassi Racing jumped 11 spots to finish second, salvaging an otherwise disastrous day for the Ganassi gang that saw a mechanical failure for Scott Dixon and crashes for Graham Rahal and Dario Franchitti.

Especially impressive was how he put himself on the podium with 13 laps remaining: An eye-opening inside pass on both Simon Pagenaud and Tony Kanaan at Toronto’s infamous Turn 3. The Californian would survive contact on the final restart with Sebastien Bourdais (who went into the Turn 1 tire barrier as a result) and hang on to second, capping off a superb drive.

That was then, however. Now, things are certainly different this year as the Honda Indy Toronto (Saturday and Sunday, 3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) has been turned into the second of three doubleheader weekends that the IndyCars will see in 2013.

But after CGR locked out the podium last weekend in Pennsylvania, with Dixon leading Kimball and Franchitti to the checkered flag, the American is understandably anxious to keep the momentum going – both for himself and for his team.

“I can’t wait to start the race weekend at the Honda Indy Toronto,” Kimball said in a team statement. “The team had a great race there last year, with our first podium finish, and we’re coming in with a good deal of momentum from our second place at Pocono.

“I think the whole Ganassi organization is really gelling, apparent from last weekend’s podium sweep, and if we continue to build on that we’ll have even more success through this second half of the IndyCar season.”

Kimball is also seeking this weekend to crack the Top 10 in the championship once again. He currently sits 12th, just seven points off of 10th-place Takuma Sato.

Watch this weekend’s Honda Indy Toronto online and on your mobile device.

Zach Veach splits with Andretti Autosport for rest of IndyCar season

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
1 Comment

Zach Veach will be leaving his Andretti Autosport ride with three races remaining in the season, choosing to explore options after the decision was made he wouldn’t return for 2021.

In a Wednesday release, Andretti Autosport said a replacement driver for the No. 26 Dallara-Honda would be named in the coming days. The NTT IndyCar Series will race Oct. 2-3 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course and then conclude the season Oct. 25 on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida.

Veach was ranked 11th in the points standings through 11 races of his third season with Andretti. Since a fourth in the June 6 season opener at Texas Motor Speedway, he hadn’t finished higher than 14th.

“The decision was made that I will not be returning in 2021 with Andretti Autosport in the No. 26 Gainbridge car,” Veach said in the Andretti release. “This, along with knowing that limited testing exists for teams due to COVID, have led me to the decision to step out of the car for the remainder of the 2020 IndyCar season. I am doing this to allow the team to have time with other drivers as they prepare for 2021, and so that I can also explore my own 2021 options.

“This is the hardest decision I have ever made, but to me, racing is about family, and it is my belief that you take care of your family. Andretti Autosport is my family and I feel this is what is best to help us all reach the next step. I will forever be grateful to Michael and the team for all of their support over the years. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for a relationship that started many years ago with Road to Indy. I will also be forever grateful to Dan Towriss for his friendship and for the opportunity he and Gainbridge have given me.

“My love for this sport and the people involved is unmeasurable, and I look forward to continuing to be amongst the racing world and fans in 2021.”

Said team owner Michael Andretti: “We first welcomed Zach to the Andretti team back in his USF2000 days and have enjoyed watching him grow and evolve as a racer, and a person. His decision to allow us to use the last few races to explore our 2021 options shows the measure of his character.

“Zach has always placed team and family first, and we’re very happy to have had him as part of ours for so many years. We wish him the best in whatever 2021 may bring and will always consider him a friend.”

Andretti fields five full-time cars for Veach, Alexander Rossi, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti and Colton Herta.

It also has fielded James Hinchcliffe in three races this season.