So, Dario Franchitti gets third back, and standing starts set for Sunday

Leave a comment

So, two things have just been announced by INDYCAR in the wake of the finish – and start, for that matter – of the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy Toronto race one.

First, Dario Franchitti has been restored to his third place, which had been temporarily taken away after the race for alleged blocking against Will Power, heading into Turn 3 at the Exhibition Place street circuit.

Here is the official statement from INDYCAR, issued nearly a couple hours after the race finish:

After the race, INDYCAR officials met with Dario Franchitti and Target Chip Ganassi Racing team members to further review the blocking penalty issued on the final lap of today’s Honda Indy Toronto. The team presented car data showing steering trace and braking points from the Lap 85 incident with the No. 12 car driven by Will Power. The group also viewed additional video.  Upon further review, INDYCAR has reinstated No. 10 Franchitti to his original third place finishing position.

Franchitti, perhaps justifiably, sounded off during the post-race press conference about the penalty after it was issued.

“The big thing is all this (expletive) at the end, quite honestly,” Franchitti said. “Of all the stuff that went on all day, anybody I raced against would protect the inside, the person trying to pass would go to the outside. I made my intentions clear very early.”

He later added he and the team planned to protest.

“It will be very interesting to know how they make decisions up there sometimes. I think it involves a dice and a blindfold,” he deadpanned.

Meanwhile, the aborted standing start that was supposed to take place today has in fact, been reinstituted for tomorrow. If there aren’t further stalls, that is.

“The fans deserve to see a standing start, so after consultation with the promoter, we have made the decision to implement a standing start for Sunday’s race,” Brian Barnhart, senior vice president of operations, INDYCAR, said in a series release.

8:45 p.m. ET:  And, we have an update from Franchitti directly. He’s voiced his thanks for the result reversal on Twitter.

Here’s who were picking to win the Indy 500 — who are YOU picking?

IndyCar
Leave a comment

Several members of the NBC Sports motorsports staff have made their predictions on who will win Sunday’s 102nd Running of the Indianapolis 500.

Of the six voters, two are going with 2017 Verizon IndyCar Series champ Josef Newgarden, while two others are going with Helio Castroneves to win a fourth 500, which would tie him with A.J. Foyt, Al Unser and Rick Mears.

Here’s our picks. Who are YOU picking?

Leigh Diffey: Helio Castroneves — He drives the place better than anyone else. For me (for what its worth) he deserves a fourth 500 ring for the frustration he went through never getting the IndyCar title!

Townsend Bell: Josef Newgarden

Nate Ryan: Simon Pagenaud — All of his 2018 misfortune on the track has disappeared in May, and it culminates in the biggest victory of his career.

Jerry Bonkowski: Helio Castroneves – There’s no pressure as he pursues his fourth Indy 500 win. All Helio has to do, as late NFL owner Al Davis would say, is “Just win, baby!” (But if Helio falls short, watch for Marco Andretti)

Kyle Lavigne: Josef Newgarden — I think he has everything he needs to get it done this year.

Dan Beaver: Robert Wickens – Has driven like anything except a rookie and his second-place finish at Phoenix proves he’s just as good on an oval as the road courses.

Follow: Jerry Bonkowski