No title sponsor likely for Grand Prix of Baltimore

Leave a comment

It appears that for a third year in a row, the Grand Prix of Baltimore will be run without a title sponsor – something that the Labor Day weekend event has never had since its inception in 2011.

General manager Tim Mayer told the Baltimore Business Journal earlier this week that his group is looking for a title sponsorship in the low seven figures and that multiple companies have expressed interest to fill that role for next year’s running.

A title backer would likely ease any lingering concerns about the event’s long-term presence in the IZOD IndyCar Series. Those concerns would appear to come from the Grand Prix’s past history of financial and organizational problems.

The race’s original organizers, Baltimore Racing Development, had its contract with the City of Baltimore terminated in 2011 due to unpaid debts, and the next managing group for the event, Downforce Racing, was quickly dropped after it failed to meet benchmarks set by the city administration.

In May of 2012, Race On Baltimore and Andretti Sports Marketing stepped up to organize the race with limited time to get everything ready; the race went off, but attendance, understandably, took a drop. However, with the luxury of a full year of preparation, things appear to be looking up for the Grand Prix.

While Mayer wouldn’t give exact numbers to the BBJ, he said that ticket sales and corporate suite sales are on line to improve from last year’s marks. In addition, there’s a bigger number of said suites – always a good sign for a street race – and with a 21-day track building schedule (down from 31 days in 2012, per the BBJ), there should be less hassle for the city’s commuters.

INDYCAR: Patricio O’Ward turns heads in Carlin debut

Chris Jones / IndyCar
2 Comments

While the top story coming out of Sunday’s IndyCar Classic at Circuit of the Americas is undoubtedly 18-year-old Colton Herta’s victory in only his third IndyCar start, another teenager made quite some noise during the first IndyCar race at the facility.

19-year-old Patricio O’Ward made an impressive start to his 2019 IndyCar campaign by starting and finishing in eighth position. It was the first of his 13 races this season for Carlin Racing.

“I think it was a pretty good race for us. We ended exactly where we started and didn’t go backwards, so I’d say that was a successful day” O’Ward said. “I know the No. 31 Carlin Chevrolet had a top-five finish in it today and even though we couldn’t make it happen, it’s nice to know that we have the pace and can be fighting up front with the veteran drivers.”

O’Ward, the 2018 Indy Lights champ, made his series debut for Harding Steinbrenner Racing at last year’s season finale at Sonoma Raceway, where he made it to the Firestone Fast Six in qualifying and finished ninth. O’Ward was scheduled to race for the team full-time in 2019, but left in early February to pursue other options due to a lack of sponsorship.

Pato found a new home with Carlin, and despite missing preseason testing, he proved to be competitive from the get go and pressured some of IndyCar’s more tenured drivers, including Graham Rahal.

In what was undoubtedly the most daring move of the race, O’Ward ended a great battle with Rahal by hitting a superb outside pass on Lap 15.

O’Ward may have likely earned a better result on Sunday, if he didn’t have to save fuel in order to make the finish.

But with only two IndyCar starts to his credit, he is already racing like a seasoned veteran. Sunday’s IndyCar Classic may be the first of many successful outings for him this year.

After the race, he tweeted to his team: “Well done gentlemen … This is only the beginning.”

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter