Vettel: I’ve earned respect, and Webber’s decision to leave was his

0 Comments

Sebastian Vettel played up his potential title rivals, discussed how he earned respect and dismissed a suggestion he was at all responsible for Mark Webber’s departure from Red Bull, in a wide-ranging interview with Formula One’s official website.

Vettel’s march to a fourth consecutive World Championship in his Red Bull-Renault seems likely based on the car’s overall balance this year. But, as Hungary marks only the halfway point in the 2013 season, the German acknowledges it’s far from over.

“Honestly, I am not thinking about the championship and the title too much,” he said. “If you look back to last year, or 2010 – 2011 was a bit of an exception – it was going down to the wire. So never feel too comfortable where you are – it might be gone fast.”

As ever he expects Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen to push him the rest of the way. Meanwhile he says the new tire construction is likely to jumble the field even more – although that didn’t appear evident on Friday as he led a Red Bull 1-2 over Webber in both practice sessions.

Asked about the respect level he feels toward him, and despite some of the controversies that have bubbled up in his career, Vettel did say he knows it exists.

“From my personal perception I can say that I’ve always felt respected by all the others – from the very beginning, since my first proper year with Toro Rosso when I was right on the edge because you have to fight for your place among the drivers to have a say,” he said. “After that season I felt very respected by everybody. Of course, when I started Fernando was at the top, as were Kimi and Lewis. But things have changed since those days when I had to fight for my place.”

He didn’t let on about his teammate next year, and also dismissed the question when asked if he felt any responsibility for Webber’s departure.

“No, and to believe that would be very childish,” he explained. “He is the master of his own fate and he had the opportunity to remain with us – or somebody else. I don’t know where else his options could have been. Every driver seeks these things out for himself. The picture that people have had for some years about Mark’s situation in the team is very wrong. I know that, so I don’t think that I had any influence on his decision.”

Three-time W Series champ Jamie Chadwick joining Andretti in Indy NXT Series for 2023

2 Comments

Jamie Chadwick, the three-time W Series champion, will drive for Andretti Autosport in the Indy NXT Series next season.

Chadwick will make her debut in an American racing series in March, driving the No. 28 for Andretti Autosport with sponsorship from DHL. The 24-year-old will become the first female driver in 13 years to compete full time in the Indy NXT championship.

Chadwick joined the female free-to-enter W Series in its inaugural 2019 season, winning two races and the first of three consecutive championships. She has been a reserve driver for the Williams Formula One team and will continue in that role in 2023. She also has driven in the Extreme E Series.

Despite her success, Chadwick hasn’t landed a bigger ride in F3 or F2, and her break didn’t come until Michael Andretti contacted her and offered a test in an Indy NXT car.

The final three races of this year’s W Series schedule were canceled when funding fell through, but Chadwick still believes the all-female series was the right path for her.

“W Series has always been and will continue to be an opportunity to be racing for every female driver, so for my side, I looked at it while perhaps I would have liked to step up maybe earlier, at the same time being able to have that chance to race, get that experience, have that development, seat time… I was constantly learning,” Chadwick told The Associated Press.

“In that sense, I wasn’t frustrated at all. But on the flip side of it, now I’ve had that experience testing in the United States in Indy NXT and this is something I’m really excited about.”

Chadwick also is expected to have an enhanced role as a development driver next season with Williams, which chose American driver Logan Sargeant to fill its open seat on next year’s F1 grid.

“Andretti Autosport is proud to be supporting Jamie alongside DHL,” said Michael Andretti. “Jamie’s successful career speaks for itself, but Indy NXT gives Jamie the opportunity to continue her development in a new type of racing.

“We’ve turned out five Indy NXT champions over the years and look forward to continuing our role in developing new talent.”

Indy NXT is the new name of the rebranded Indy Lights Series, the final step on the ladder system before IndyCar.

Andretti will field two drivers next season in IndyCar that were developed in Indy NXT: Kyle Kirkwood, the 2021 champion, will return to Andretti after one season in IndyCar driving for A.J. Foyt Racing, and Devlin DeFrancesco is back for a second season.

Chadwick will be teammates in Indy NXT with Hunter McElrea and Louis Foster. She becomes Andretti’s second full-time female driver alongside Catie Munnings, who competes for Andretti United in the Extreme E Series.