Kurt Busch still thinking about potential Indy 500 run

4 Comments

Almost three months after he tested one of Andretti Autosport’s IndyCars at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Kurt Busch remains interested in competing in next year’s Indianapolis 500.

Busch, who rolls off sixth in today’s Brickyard 400 at IMS, obviously has making this year’s Chase as his top priority right now. But the former Sprint Cup champion is still very keen on tackling the ‘500.’

“It’s something you want to do as a dream,” Busch said to NASCAR.com’s David Caraviello. “Sometimes you have to throw away common sense when you have a dream, and to go and do it. We’ll see if it turns out.”

Of course, should Busch decide to enter “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing,” that also means he’d have to run the Coca-Cola 600 in the stock cars later that day.

“A lot of guys would love to do [Indy], but there’s that 600-mile race you’ve got to do that same night,” Busch added. “So that’s the big focus for a stock-car guy.”

The Indy/Charlotte double has not been attempted since Robby Gordon ran both the ‘500’ and ‘600’ on the same day back in 2004. But Busch has shown several signs that he’s serious about doing it.

On May 9, Busch sampled what an IndyCar can do when he ran a test session in the No. 1 Andretti Autosport Chevrolet of Ryan Hunter-Reay. “The Outlaw” turned 83 laps with a fast lap at 218.210 miles per hour, and he also passed a simulated version of the Rookie Orientation Program that all ‘500’ first-timers must go through in order to compete in the race.

He has also picked the brain of former ‘500’ winner and current Nationwide Series competitor Sam Hornish Jr., who seems convinced that Busch will eventually experience what Indy is like in the month of May.

“He only went and did some practice this year, but I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him make it happen where he runs the Indy 500 in the next couple of years,” Hornish told NASCAR.com’s Caraviello.

Gabby Chaves to sub for Joao Barbosa at Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

Gabby Chaves is set to return to the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at Watkins Glen International later this month.

The Columbian-American driver, who last competed in IMSA in 2016 – with the DeltaWing outfit – will sub for the injured Joao Barbosa – he hurt his wrist in a cycling accident earlier in June – in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R in the Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen.

Chaves will partner Filipe Albuquerque and Christian Fittipaldi in the No. 5 Cadillac.

Chaves expressed gratitude for being asked to fill in, but kept his enthusiasm muted, noting that he is getting the opportunity ultimately because another driver got hurt.

“The first thing is of course that you never want to have an opportunity because someone got hurt, so this is an unfortunate circumstance with Joao having his injury,”said Chaves. “But I appreciate the opportunity to join the championship-leading team. Mustang Sampling Racing has had a strong start this year and hopefully I can help the team continue to have those kinds of results.”

Chaves added, “I love Watkins Glen, it is a great track and I am looking forward to racing the Cadillac Prototype there. I’m excited to be going back to endurance racing. With different classes all racing at the same time, there is a lot for the driver to deal with as you work through traffic. So I am looking forward to racing at the Glen again, and I really appreciate this opportunity with Mustang Sampling Racing.”

Chaves’ most recent IMSA event was the 2016 Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen, when he finished seventh in the Prototype class.

The No. 5 Action Express Cadillac currently sits tied with the sister No. 31 Whelen Engineer Racing Cadillac of Eric Curran and Felipe Nasr atop the IMSA standings, though Barbosa’s hopes of a driver’s championship are set to take an enormous hit with him missing Watkins Glen.

Follow@KyleMLavigne