Chaos central: On-boards from Mid-Ohio USF2000 start crash

Leave a comment

Race 3 of the USF2000 National Championship weekend at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course started off with a humdinger of an accident. There were 11 cars in the 28-car field that got caught up in it.

Here’s a handful of on-board videos describing the chaos. We’ll start with Matt McMurry, son of sometimes American Le Mans Series racer Chris, who drives the No. 14 Belardi Auto Racing entry. McMurry’s on-board is mounted on the right side of his rollhoop, just to the right of his cockpit. McMurry’s video does a great job of breaking down the play-by-play of the accident. The link is below.

Next up is Edmonton native Stefan Rzadzinski, who has experience in all three levels of the Mazda Road to Indy ladder and drives the No. 93 car for JDC Motorsports. “Rzad,” as he’s known, said on Twitter that his way of carving through the mess was his “channeling his inner Pavel Datsyuk.” Or, as he calls it, “Racing Dangles.” Anyway, the first part of his video is an on-board, and teammate Arthur Oliviera in the No. 12 JDC car, several rows behind, has a front row seat to Rzadzinski’s avoidance maneuver.

Someone who made it through the mess but not without seeing some things you rarely do in a race car was Brandon Newey, son of Bryan Herta Autosport team co-owner Steve Newey. The younger Newey, in the No. 98 Afterburner Autosport entry, has another car, Dalton Kellett, actually facing him head-on (main picture).

Last but not least was poor Tim Paul, in the No. 6 ArmsUp Motorsports/SMR entry… who as far as we know at this point is the main on-board that didn’t make it through the accident.

There may be more to come but this is a good sampling of the views these young drivers had to see for their race this past weekend.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.