Massa knows he needs to raise his game to stay at Ferrari

1 Comment

Felipe Massa says he will have to produce better performances to keep his place at Ferrari for another year.

“The results will decide whether I stay here or move teams,” he told Autosport.

So far this year Massa has scored 61 points to Alonso’s 133. However he believes he can still retain his place at the team.

“The possibility to stay is there, but the most important thing is the results,” he said. “I’m happy with the way I’m driving in terms of pace – in qualifying and race pace.”

Massa’s performances have not compared favourably with those of other drivers in top teams. From 2010 to 2012 he scored less than half of team mate Fernando Alonso’s points tally – 48.8%. In comparison Mark Webber scored two-thirds of Red Bull team mate Sebastian Vettel’s points during the same period.

Massa, who has driven for Ferrari since 2006, is yet to win a race since returning from injury at the beginning of 2010 – though he was ordered to give up a win to Alonso in Germany that year.

His future has been a persistent source of speculation due to his wavering performances, which improved at the end of last season but tailed off early this year. He suffered two high-speed crashes in Monaco and spun out of the German Grand Prix after just three laps.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.