Dale Jr.: Michigan is “a place we can succeed at” (VIDEO)

1 Comment

Dale Earnhardt Jr. remains in good position to make the Chase for the Sprint Cup, but hasn’t been able to find the winning touch in 2013.

Fortunately for him, the Cup circus returns to Michigan this weekend, where his most recent victory took place last season.

Earnhardt was a threat to win at the fast, two-mile oval back in mid-June but lost his engine on Lap 131 on a day where he and the entire Hendrick Motorsports camp suffered. But he’s optimistic that he can get right back to the front in Sunday’s Pure Michigan 400.

“We’re working real hard – [a win] could come any weekend,” Earnhardt said Monday according to the Associated Press. “We’re going to Michigan this weekend and feel like it’s a place we can succeed at. Obviously, it’s the place where we won our last two races at [2008, 2012].

“We just anticipate it happening any week and go in every week with the attitude that we can be competitive and win the race, and we’ve been pretty strong all season, so the confidence is high.”

NASCAR’s most popular driver shot out of the gates this season with a streak of five consecutive Top-10 runs that put him atop the Cup standings. Since then, he’s quietly maintained a spot in the Top 10 of the championship but has yet to become a regular contender for wins.

Sunday’s race at Watkins Glen didn’t help matters. A late crash that saw Earnhardt slam into a spinning Kasey Kahne as part of a six-car pileup relegated NASCAR’s most popular driver to a 30th-place finish.

Earnhardt slipped to sixth in the championship as a result, but on Monday, he maintained his belief that he’ll still be racing for his first Cup title come September.

“We had a good car and was real happy how the car ran [at the Glen],” he said. “You can’t do much with the luck we had, but we are looking pretty good as far as making the Chase and feel pretty confident that we’re going to be able to do that.”

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.