Ricciardo: No news on Red Bull yet

1 Comment

Daniel Ricciardo has revealed that he is yet to get the call from Red Bull to confirm that he will be racing for them next season, despite all of the signs suggesting that he is set to join the defending world champions.

Ricciardo was initially shortlisted alongside Kimi Raikkonen and Jean-Eric Vergne for the seat next season after Mark Webber confirmed that he would be retiring at the end of the year. Vergne was quickly ruled out by Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, and news broke earlier this week quoting Raikkonen’s manager who confirmed that talks with the team were over. Despite appearing to be the last man standing, Ricciardo is refusing to believe that the move is a formality.

“Obviously there’s a bit of excitement around, maybe everyone gets a bit bored in the August break, I get bored don’t worry,” Ricciardo joked. “Nothing yet, nothing further to say from what I knew. Until it comes from someone over that side [Red Bull], whichever decision they make, as far as I know I’m still here for this year and don’t know anything about next year.

He also believes that teammate Jean-Eric Vergne is still an option for Red Bull, meaning that he cannot get complacent about securing the drive for 2014.

“I think I’ve learned that until something is signed, sealed, delivered, nothing is ever concrete, particularly in this environment. Whether that’s true or not, who knows, obviously there’s still my teammate Jean-Eric who as far as I am concerned isn’t out of the picture. There’s a lot of other F1 drivers on the grid with pretty good credentials, so as I said, until something is done, I’m not gonna start celebrating or getting my hopes up.”

Had Ricciardo impressed Red Bull enough, one would assume that the announcement would already have been made. Instead, he is being forced to bide his time which, all the while, is allowing other drivers to throw their hat into the ring for Webber’s seat next season.

Peacock to stream all Supercross and Motocross races in 2023, plus inaugural SuperMotocross Championship

Peacock Supercross Motocross 2023
Feld Entertainment, Inc.
0 Comments

NBC Sports and Feld Motor Sports announced that Peacock and the NBC family of networks will stream all 31 races of the combined Monster Energy Supercross, Lucas Oil Pro Motocross and the newly created SuperMotocross World Championship beginning January 7, 2023 at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, California and ending October 14 in the place where Supercross was born: the Los Angeles Coliseum.

The combined series will create a 10-month calendar of events, making it one of the longest professional sports’ seasons in the United States.

The agreement is for multiple years. The season finale will air live on Peacock and the USA Network.

Peacock will present live coverage of all races, qualifying and heats across both series. The 31 total races will mark a record for the combined number of Supercross and Pro Motocross events that NBC Sports will present in a single season.

NBC, USA Network and CNBC will provide coverage of all races, including the SuperMotocross World Championship Playoffs and Final, through 2023 and beyond. For more information about the Peacock streaming service, click here.

“With our wide array of live and original motorsports offerings, Peacock is a natural home for Supercross and Pro Motocross races,” said Rick Cordella, Chief Commercial Officer, Peacock. “We’re looking forward to providing fans with an easily-accessible destination to find every race all season long, including the exciting finish with the newly formed SuperMotocross World Championship.”

MORE: A conversation about media rights created the new SuperMotocross World Championship Series

The NBC family of networks has been home to Supercross for the past several seasons and this is a continuation of that relationship. The media rights for both series expired at the end of 2022, which allowed Supercross and Motocross to combine their efforts.

In fact, it was that conversation that led to the formation of the SuperMotocross World Championship (SMX).

The SMX series will begin on September 9, 2023 after the conclusion of the Pro Motocross season. Points will accumulate from both series to seed the SMX championship, which creates a record number of unified races.

“The SuperMotocross World Championship adds a new dimension to the annual Supercross and Pro Motocross seasons that will result in crowning the ultimate World Champion,” said Stephen C. Yaros, SVP Global Media and Supercross for Feld Motor Sports. “We are thrilled to be extending our relationship with NBC Sports so our fans can watch all the racing action streaming live on Peacock and the option to also watch select rounds on NBC, USA Network and CNBC.”

Complete 2023 coverage schedules for Supercross, Pro Motocross and the SuperMotocross World Championship on Peacock, NBC, USA Network and CNBC will be announced in the near future.