Report: Kyle Larson to join Earnhardt-Ganassi in Sprint Cup next year

5 Comments

Thanks to his impressive work on both dirt and asphalt, 21-year-old Kyle Larson has become one of NASCAR’s most hyped young talents in some time. Now, it appears he’ll be moving on up to the Sprint Cup Series.

A report from The Charlotte Observer says that Larson, who currently drives for Turner Scott Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, has been tapped to become the new driver of the No. 42 Earnhardt Ganassi Racing Chevrolet.

EGR recently told Juan Pablo Montoya that he would not return to the No. 42 next season. The team has set a press conference for Friday afternoon at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Since Montoya’s departure from EGR was announced, Larson had been considered as a potential replacement because of his ties to the team as one of its development drivers.

He has persevered nicely after being involved in a wild crash during the Nationwide season opener in February at Daytona International Speedway – an incident that saw his car get airborne and smash into the catch fence, with the impact sending parts into the grandstands and injuring fans.

He earned his first Camping World Truck Series win in April at Rockingham (N.C.), and was a threat to win the Trucks’ dirt-track debut last month at Eldora Speedway. As for his main duties in NNS, Larson currently runs eighth in the championship (six Top-5s, 13 Top-10s).

Prior to 2013, though, Larson had already made a considerable name for himself. In 2011, he earned 22 feature wins across USAC, World of Outlaws and the American Sprint Car Series – including an impressive sweep of all three USAC races (midget, sprint car and Silver Crown) at that year’s 4-Crown Nationals at Eldora.

But 2012 saw him shift his main focus to stock car racing, and he proved his talent once more by winning the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East title with two wins, seven Top-5s, and 12 Top-10s.

Performances like that have made some NASCAR fans wonder what he could do against the top dogs in Sprint Cup. Additionally, Larson’s apparent promotion may be setting up a fascinating Rookie of the Year duel next season between himself and Richard Childress Racing’s Austin Dillon, who is expected to make a 2014 jump to Cup as well.

Helio Castroneves ‘hustling’ for IndyCar, IMSA rides; talking with four to five teams

Helio Castroneves IMSA IndyCar
IMSA
Leave a comment

As his season gathers steam, Helio Castroneves said his prospects for finding new rides for 2021 in IMSA and IndyCar also are gaining momentum.

The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner said Monday he is optimistic about landing in either or perhaps a combination of both series when Team Penske and Acura end their DPi partnership after this season.

“A lot of people I spoke with, four to five teams, are interested,” Castroneves said. “Whether it’s doing Indy 500 only, whether it’s pushing to do full time or do the sports cars as well. It’s been a very nice conversation.

LOOKING AHEADTeam Penske drivers seeking new rides for 2021

“I have a lot of respect for all the teams that have been talking, and I feel the same feedback. We just have to wait for their (sponsor) connections, and I’m also looking for some connections on my side as well, so hopefully we’ll be able to put this together and get something very soon.”

Given two decades of success with Penske in IndyCar and IMSA, Castroneves’ resume hardly needs burnishing. But the Brazilian has combined with co-driver Ricky Taylor in the No. 7 Acura DPi to win the past two overall victories at Road America and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

But Castroneves, who doesn’t have a manager, said he has been working the phones hard rather than wait for the strong results to bring in the calls.

“At this point, I feel like I’m the one who needs to be talking to them because people need to know I want to continue racing and understand my desire,” Castroneves, 45, said. “There is opportunity, no question, in both (IndyCar and IMSA), which I’m really happy about it. However, because of the COVID-19, a lot of things sometimes have to be a little delayed. But I’m excited. Whatever the opportunity and whatever destiny guides me, whether IndyCar or sports cars, trust me I’ll be as happy as it could be and doing my 100 percent like I always did.

“It’s like politics, you need to be out there, good news or bad news. People have to make notice of your presence. I’m hustling. I want to continue to keep it going. Hopefully, we’ll have good news very soon.”

The news has been all good lately on track for Castroneves and Taylor, who hope to continue their run Sunday at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The No. 6 duo has surged to sixth in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship standings, 10 points out of the lead with four races remaining. After thinking there was “no hope” to be competitive after opening the season with three consecutive poor finishes, Taylor now sees an opportunity for a happy ending.

“With the program going away, Helio has won all the big races and given so much back to the team and left such a mark, he’s really part of Penske history,” Taylor said. “For me, it’s been an opportunity of a lifetime to be a part of it. I’d like to leave my little mark as well. Helio has won everything except for a championship.

“Obviously, we’ve won races already together, but we can win a championship now. I think if both of us can do that together and both win our first championship for ‘The Captain,’ that would be an absolute dream come true, and we can tie a bow on it and be happy.”