Stewart: No deception for Newman; Smoke, Harvick, Busch will grow

2 Comments

Tony Stewart took some of the time during his Tuesday press conference to eliminate the suggestion he had inadvertently “screwed” Ryan Newman as the Stewart-Haas Racing team prepares to add a fourth car for Kurt Busch in 2014.

The timing of when the fourth car came together, led by Stewart’s partner Gene Haas, was what led to the Busch signing.

“When we had the press conference at Loudon, where we were at is what we said,” Stewart explained. “I was disappointed to hear Kyle Petty say we deceived Ryan – that was the word – that we deceived him. He (Haas) addressed this last week at a Chevy dinner in Indy. That’s when it started.

“As it progressed, Gene’s not used to having partners. He’s a big success in the CNC industry as a one-man show. Going through the process, he didn’t think until talking to me about it as it progressed. Granted I was in the hospital, so that’s why he didn’t talk sooner.

“My only concern was the sponsorship about it and building a team in that time frame. We know Kurt can go out, be fast, and possibly win the race every week. But I had no idea he had this in mind for 2014 until three Mondays ago.

“As far as how it would look, to Ryan, I think Gene addressed it, he came up with it and made the decision to make a change. We’re partners in this, Gene wanted the change and I wanted to go with it. I was really 100 percent behind it, but concerned about the time frame. There was never one argument between us. I just expressed my concern about the timing.”

Stewart then unintentionally spilled the beans about another part of the SHR program coming together for 2014, Rodney Childers joining as Kevin Harvick’s crew chief for the No. 4 Budweiser Chevrolet.

“Well, we’ve got a crew chief. I think he will dictate the crewmembers. I think Zippy’s in tune with the details of accommodating the fourth team. But that’s more a question for Zippy in terms of what will it take to do it. He can’t wait for me to get healed up to beat the crap out of me for putting him in this position.”

Stewart says he, Harvick and Busch are all in the “growing up process.”

“It’s been inevitable that all three of us are going to start growing up,” Stewart said. “I’m not sure all three have completed the process yet. But we’ve made huge gains in that area. For Kurt it’s a new organization. Kevin and I have raced with each other. Kurt and I haven’t had chance to work together. But now we’ll have him and Kevin as a support system. That’s something that’ll help them come into the organization.”

It will be interesting to see how they all gel as a group, as three alpha males with Danica Patrick as the fourth member of the team.

Follow @TonyDiZinno

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.