Run my own F1 team? No chance, says Button

0 Comments

Jenson Button says he has no interest of running his own Formula One team once his days as a driver are over.

Button, 33, is the most experienced driver racing in F1 today having made 239 starts so far. But he told The Guardian he’s not interested in life on the pit wall:

“My hero, Alain Prost, started a team in the late nineties and it didn’t work out for him,” said Button. “I remember speaking to him about what it was like and he said it was the most stressful time of his life – even more so than racing with Ayrton Senna.”

“He said it was non-stop. He said he couldn’t sleep. He didn’t sleep through that period of time. He said it was very tough. It’s a challenge, definitely, but it’s not the challenge I’m looking for in life.”

Prost took over the Ligier team at the end of 1996. Five years later the team folded.

Other ex-F1 drivers have enjoyed better success running F1 teams. Jackie Stewart entered F1 at the same time as Prost and Rubens Barrichello scored a second place finish for Stewart at Monaco in their debut season.

Two years later Johnny Herbert won the European Grand Prix for them. After that they were sold to Ford and eventually became the power house Red Bull team.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.