UPDATED: Ryan Newman named as new driver of Childress’ No. 31

4 Comments

It turns out Ryan Newman could afford to be candid about his pit crew at Stewart-Haas Racing after missing the Chase for the Sprint Cup at Richmond because he had something new close to being done.

Newman has been named as Jeff Burton’s replacement at Richard Childress Racing’s No. 31 Chevrolet, multiple sources confirmed to NASCAR.com. Newman participated in a teleconference later on Monday and discussed the move.

“We talked roughly five years ago before I joined SHR and we didn’t have the moons correctly aligned,” Newman said.

He said he had talked to several teams before settling on RCR for what will be a three-year deal.

“I talked to a few, which in my world is three or more,” Newman said. “Richard came to me Daytona 500 week and I told him at that point I needed to lay some ground work with Matt Borland (at SHR), it was too early then, but I appreciated the offer. After Loudon, when I was told what I wouldn’t be doing, the conversations intensified. So it was at the top without a doubt. Richard and everyone at RCR could control their own destiny in terms of building chassis, engines and bodies at one compound. That means the world to me.”

It will mark a third change of scenery for Newman, who debuted in NASCAR with Penske Racing in 2000 and shifted to Stewart-Haas in 2009. He has 17 career wins, including a season-high eight in 2003, the last year before the Chase, and his most recent win at Indianapolis this July. He also has scored Penske’s only Daytona 500 win, ahead of then-teammate Kurt Busch in 2008.

“I’ve talked with (new teammate) Paul (Menard) a good bit, going back to Coke 600. Austin and Ty (Dillon) are there, I don’t know their capacity yet,” he said of his new team situation. “Just even racing with Austin at the Truck race, we raced clean and raced hard. Tony (Stewart) and I have raced clean and hard. I also want to make mention to that I’m extremely respectful for the way Jeff Burton’s handled himself. To make this all work out and he’s been great, I will leave it at that.”

Newman made the Chase twice in five seasons with SHR, missing out this year after a controversial late-race spin by Clint Bowyer and a subsequent loss of positions on the ensuing pit stops.

Formula 1: Ricciardo on Monaco pole, Verstappen to start last

Photo: Getty Images
1 Comment

Red Bull Racing’s Daniel Ricciardo has dominated all weekend long at the Monaco Grand Prix, leading every single practice session prior to qualifying.

And qualifying was more of the same for the Australian driver, whose quick lap in Q3 came in at 1:10.810, a new track record, to take the pole by more than two tenths of a second over Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel.

Meanwhile, Ricciardo’s teammate Max Verstappen endured a much more difficult day, which started with a hard crash in FP3.

Verstappen’s Red Bull RB14 suffered extensive damage to the right side, and even more damage was later found in the car’s gearbox. Such repairs ultimately proved too time consuming, and Verstappen will start Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix from last.

Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton filled out the top three by qualifying third, with Ferrari and Mercedes also taking the fourth and fifth spots on the grid, with Kimi Raikkonen in fourth and Valtteri Bottas in fifth.

Force India’s Esteban Ocon, McLaren’s Fernando Alonso, and Renault’s Carlos Sainz Jr. take up spots six, seven, and eight on the grid. Sergio Perez made it two Force Indias in Q3, qualifying ninth, while Toro Rosso’s Pierre Gasly qualified tenth.

Full qualifying results are below. Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix kicks off at 9:00 a.m. ET.

Follow@KyleMLavigne