Formula E launches new Spark-Renault at Frankfurt Motor Show

2 Comments

Buildup for the new FIA Formula E championship, the all-electric single-seater series set to debut in September 2014, continued Tuesday with the launch of its new Spark-Renault SRT_01E at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

A test car has already had demonstration runs – notably in Los Angeles the day after IndyCar’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach – but this marks the car’s official introduction.

It’s a Dallara-built, carbon fiber and aluminum monocoque chassis with McLaren Electronic Systems providing the electric motor, and gearbox. Custom-made 18-inch tires have been built by Michelin. Spark will build 42 cars with each driver set to use two over the course of a one-hour race.

“The innovative technology deployed follows the best environmental practices, highlighting the potential of the Formula E Championship to spark a revolution in the development of new electromobility systems, not just for motorsport but also for everyday use,” FIA President Jean Todt said in a series release. “This new championship builds on the FIA’s traditional role as a leading promoter of innovation, technology and performance in the automotive sector.”

There’s been two other bits to emerge from a corporate side for Formula E just in the last couple days, as well. DHL was announced on Tuesday as part of a “multiyear global partnership” providing the series’ logistics services. The partnership makes sense on the surface given the planned entry from Andretti Autosport, who has DHL as a sponsor of Ryan Hunter-Reay’s IndyCar.

Additionally, Qualcomm has signed on as Official Founding Technology Partner of the championship. Qualcomm’s new and sustainable technologies are planned to be integrated into the series.

The series is now roughly a year from its first race and has several teams planning entry, including Andretti, and also has Gil de Ferran as a series ambassador. It now has several pieces of its 2014 puzzle put together.

Gabby Chaves to sub for Joao Barbosa at Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

Gabby Chaves is set to return to the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at Watkins Glen International later this month.

The Columbian-American driver, who last competed in IMSA in 2016 – with the DeltaWing outfit – will sub for the injured Joao Barbosa – he hurt his wrist in a cycling accident earlier in June – in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R in the Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen.

Chaves will partner Filipe Albuquerque and Christian Fittipaldi in the No. 5 Cadillac.

Chaves expressed gratitude for being asked to fill in, but kept his enthusiasm muted, noting that he is getting the opportunity ultimately because another driver got hurt.

“The first thing is of course that you never want to have an opportunity because someone got hurt, so this is an unfortunate circumstance with Joao having his injury,”said Chaves. “But I appreciate the opportunity to join the championship-leading team. Mustang Sampling Racing has had a strong start this year and hopefully I can help the team continue to have those kinds of results.”

Chaves added, “I love Watkins Glen, it is a great track and I am looking forward to racing the Cadillac Prototype there. I’m excited to be going back to endurance racing. With different classes all racing at the same time, there is a lot for the driver to deal with as you work through traffic. So I am looking forward to racing at the Glen again, and I really appreciate this opportunity with Mustang Sampling Racing.”

Chaves’ most recent IMSA event was the 2016 Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen, when he finished seventh in the Prototype class.

The No. 5 Action Express Cadillac currently sits tied with the sister No. 31 Whelen Engineer Racing Cadillac of Eric Curran and Felipe Nasr atop the IMSA standings, though Barbosa’s hopes of a driver’s championship are set to take an enormous hit with him missing Watkins Glen.

Follow@KyleMLavigne