Grand Prix of Baltimore off for 2014, possibly 2015 (UPDATED)

7 Comments

Citing a lack of a feasible date, Grand Prix of Baltimore official race organizers said they have canceled the race for 2014 and 2015, according to a report in the Baltimore Business Journal.

“Race On will not be able to participate in hosting the race going forward,” said J.P. Grant, a partner in Race On LLC. “Everyone involved in this matter has worked diligently and of good faith to make it happen. We explored every possible option.”

A report from the Baltimore FOX TV affiliate explained the date conflicts. In 2014, Baltimore’s M&T Bank Stadium will play host to the Ohio State-Navy game on Labor Day weekend, while in 2015, an American Legion Convention will arrive. Grand Prix manager Tim Mayer told FOX 45 shortly after this year’s race that they were “working the issues out right now.”

Baltimore has endured a rocky, but always memorable, three-year period on the IZOD IndyCar Series schedule. It premiered to a packed capacity in 2011 but had to undergo a change in promoters following financial issues at the tail end of the calendar year. Andretti Sports Marketing helped resuscitate the race for two years under the Race On LLC group, led by Grant.

ASM also promotes the IndyCar race in Milwaukee, held the last two years on the Saturday of Father’s Day weekend.

For IndyCar, it’s the first announced race lost for next season. Baltimore was also rumored to have a place on the merged United SportsCar schedule, but that obviously will not happen now. The American Le Mans Series – which will be fused into USCC next year with longtime rival GRAND-AM Rolex Series – has raced at Baltimore the last three years, as well.

UPDATE, 3:40 p.m. ET: A statement has emerged from Mark Miles, IndyCar’s unofficial head and CEO of the series’ parent company, Hulman & Co:

 “After a successful visit to Baltimore, which included record attendance, we are disappointed that our schedules will not align to host an event in 2014. This was simply a matter of trying to find the best date that worked for all parties, since Labor Day weekend was not an option in 2014.  We are thankful to the city of Baltimore, Race On and Andretti Sports Marketing for their support and enthusiasm for the event over the years. We continue to finalize our 2014 schedule and anticipate announcing it prior to the end of our 2013 season.”

The difference there is Miles has just ruled out 2014, not 2015 as the other report had indicated.

UPDATE, 5:15 p.m. ET: A tweet from Andretti Sports Marketing reads: “Unfortunate news, but thanks to the City of Baltimore, Race On and all of our sponsors – hopefully we will return to the Charm City one day!”

Gabby Chaves to sub for Joao Barbosa at Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

Gabby Chaves is set to return to the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at Watkins Glen International later this month.

The Columbian-American driver, who last competed in IMSA in 2016 – with the DeltaWing outfit – will sub for the injured Joao Barbosa – he hurt his wrist in a cycling accident earlier in June – in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R in the Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen.

Chaves will partner Filipe Albuquerque and Christian Fittipaldi in the No. 5 Cadillac.

Chaves expressed gratitude for being asked to fill in, but kept his enthusiasm muted, noting that he is getting the opportunity ultimately because another driver got hurt.

“The first thing is of course that you never want to have an opportunity because someone got hurt, so this is an unfortunate circumstance with Joao having his injury,”said Chaves. “But I appreciate the opportunity to join the championship-leading team. Mustang Sampling Racing has had a strong start this year and hopefully I can help the team continue to have those kinds of results.”

Chaves added, “I love Watkins Glen, it is a great track and I am looking forward to racing the Cadillac Prototype there. I’m excited to be going back to endurance racing. With different classes all racing at the same time, there is a lot for the driver to deal with as you work through traffic. So I am looking forward to racing at the Glen again, and I really appreciate this opportunity with Mustang Sampling Racing.”

Chaves’ most recent IMSA event was the 2016 Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen, when he finished seventh in the Prototype class.

The No. 5 Action Express Cadillac currently sits tied with the sister No. 31 Whelen Engineer Racing Cadillac of Eric Curran and Felipe Nasr atop the IMSA standings, though Barbosa’s hopes of a driver’s championship are set to take an enormous hit with him missing Watkins Glen.

Follow@KyleMLavigne