Martin Whitmarsh has said that he would like McLaren to score regular top ten finishes in the final six races of the 2013 Formula One season, drawing a curtain across a difficult year for all involved at the team.
Having been regular front-runners for the best part of a decade, 2013 has seen McLaren drop to being the fifth fastest team on the grid with Jenson Button and Sergio Perez failing to finish on the podium so far this season. However, Whitmarsh has not put any pressure on the team to go out and win races in the final third of the year, instead preferring consistent point scoring finishes that will keep McLaren in fifth place in the constructors’ championship.
“We go into these final races with the very clear intention of consolidating our position in the constructors’ championship,” Whitmarsh explained. “While improving our position sadly looks impossible, it’s important to consistently achieve top-ten finishes with both drivers in order to strengthen our points cushion over our closest rivals behind. We achieved that in Singapore and will be looking for similar performances from now until the end of the season.
“That may not be a particularly glamorous task for a team that enjoys winning, but it nonetheless calls for constant application, focus and commitment as we count down the remaining races during this important phase of the season.”
Button currently boasts the team’s best finish of fifth at the Chinese Grand Prix, with Sergio Perez thought to be under pressure for 2014 after a difficult first year at Woking, having moved to McLaren after two years at Sauber. The team will be keen on taking advantage of the great change in the regulations next year to return to the head of the field, but in the short-term, it is merely a case of doing the best job possible and finishing in the points.
The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.
IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.
This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.
INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists
IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.
“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.
“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”
It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.