Caterham F1 racers Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde are not concern about the possibility of losing their seat to Heikki Kovalainen next year.
Kovalainen drove for the team between 2010 and 2012 (including when it was known as Lotus) but was dropped at the end of last year as Caterham overhauled its driver line-up.
But team owner Tony Fernandes has recently indicated Kovalainen could return next year when his experience will help the team with the new engine regulations.
“The management is speaking to some people, and speaking to this team,” Van der Garde told Autosport, “but they leave me out of it because I want to concentrate on my racing and do the best I can.”
“We will see what options come around and then we will decide,” added Van der Garde, saying he hopes the team’s decision will be “earlier than it was this year”. Caterham didn’t confirm their 2013 driver line-up until February.
Team mate Pic also said he wasn’t certain of his 2014 plans year. Kovalainen, who made his F1 debut in 2007, has driven for the team four times during practice sessions this year.
Caterham are yet to confirm either of their drivers for the 2014 season. Pic has finished ahead of Van der Garde in seven of the nine races where both drivers were classified.
The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.
IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.
This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.
INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists
IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.
“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.
“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”
It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.