Boullier unsurprised by double podium for Lotus

1 Comment

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has said that he was not surprised to see both of his drivers finish on the podium in Korea, believing that the result reflects that pace of the E21 car.

Having started third, Grosjean ran in P2 for the majority of the race before eventually finishing third behind teammate Kimi Raikkonen who had jumped up the order thanks to the safety car periods.

Speaking to NBC’s Will Buxton, Boullier said: “I don’t want to be arrogant but we were expecting Romain to be on the podium and Kimi to catch up in the top six, so obviously the safety car helped Kimi.

“But with the pace of the car, it should be on the podium.”

After becoming embroiled in a battle with Nico Hulkenberg, Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber for fifth, Raikkonen pitted early in an attempt to exploit the undercut and make up the positions. The safety car period allowed him to do this as well as preserving his tires and allowing him to go to the end of the race.

Romain Grosjean had been Vettel’s closest challenger, but a mistake on the restart following the first safety car period allowed Raikkonen to pass. Despite asking to be given the position back, Grosjean was told that he had to race Raikkonen for the place and he eventually finished just half a second behind his teammate.

“I think he [Grosjean] was a bit disappointed because he made one mistake on the restart from the safety car, and Kimi used the opportunity to pass him,” Boullier explained. “I think he was trying to get some help to pass back Kimi but we said “you are racing Kimi”.

“He was allowed to race but he couldn’t and I think he was a bit upset about having lost his position to Kimi.”

Grosjean will remain with Lotus in 2014, and performances such as this will prove that he can lead the team in the post-Raikkonen era as the Finn prepares to return to Ferrari for next season. His replacement is still to be announced, but Nico Hulkenberg and Felipe Massa are thought to be the two prime candidates.

Helio Castroneves ‘hustling’ for IndyCar, IMSA rides; talking with four to five teams

Helio Castroneves IMSA IndyCar
IMSA
Leave a comment

As his season gathers steam, Helio Castroneves said his prospects for finding new rides for 2021 in IMSA and IndyCar also are gaining momentum.

The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner said Monday he is optimistic about landing in either or perhaps a combination of both series when Team Penske and Acura end their DPi partnership after this season.

“A lot of people I spoke with, four to five teams, are interested,” Castroneves said. “Whether it’s doing Indy 500 only, whether it’s pushing to do full time or do the sports cars as well. It’s been a very nice conversation.

LOOKING AHEADTeam Penske drivers seeking new rides for 2021

“I have a lot of respect for all the teams that have been talking, and I feel the same feedback. We just have to wait for their (sponsor) connections, and I’m also looking for some connections on my side as well, so hopefully we’ll be able to put this together and get something very soon.”

Given two decades of success with Penske in IndyCar and IMSA, Castroneves’ resume hardly needs burnishing. But the Brazilian has combined with co-driver Ricky Taylor in the No. 7 Acura DPi to win the past two overall victories at Road America and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

But Castroneves, who doesn’t have a manager, said he has been working the phones hard rather than wait for the strong results to bring in the calls.

“At this point, I feel like I’m the one who needs to be talking to them because people need to know I want to continue racing and understand my desire,” Castroneves, 45, said. “There is opportunity, no question, in both (IndyCar and IMSA), which I’m really happy about it. However, because of the COVID-19, a lot of things sometimes have to be a little delayed. But I’m excited. Whatever the opportunity and whatever destiny guides me, whether IndyCar or sports cars, trust me I’ll be as happy as it could be and doing my 100 percent like I always did.

“It’s like politics, you need to be out there, good news or bad news. People have to make notice of your presence. I’m hustling. I want to continue to keep it going. Hopefully, we’ll have good news very soon.”

The news has been all good lately on track for Castroneves and Taylor, who hope to continue their run Sunday at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The No. 6 duo has surged to sixth in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship standings, 10 points out of the lead with four races remaining. After thinking there was “no hope” to be competitive after opening the season with three consecutive poor finishes, Taylor now sees an opportunity for a happy ending.

“With the program going away, Helio has won all the big races and given so much back to the team and left such a mark, he’s really part of Penske history,” Taylor said. “For me, it’s been an opportunity of a lifetime to be a part of it. I’d like to leave my little mark as well. Helio has won everything except for a championship.

“Obviously, we’ve won races already together, but we can win a championship now. I think if both of us can do that together and both win our first championship for ‘The Captain,’ that would be an absolute dream come true, and we can tie a bow on it and be happy.”