Top-5 helps Kyle Busch move forward in Chase

Leave a comment

Last week at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Kyle Busch bemoaned his fifth-place finish there as his main rivals in the Chase for the Sprint Cup – Jimmie Johnson and Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Matt Kenseth – finished ahead of him.

After yesterday’s race at Talladega Superspeedway, we figure Busch is at least a little happier. Because while he again finished fifth for the second straight week, he took the checkered flag ahead of both Johnson (who finished 13th) and Kenseth (who finished 20th).

Down 37 points to Kenseth at fifth in the Chase going into ‘Dega, Busch now finds himself tied for third with Kevin Harvick at a slightly less daunting margin of 26 points behind Johnson, who now holds the championship lead with four races to go.

Sunday began in frustrating fashion, however. While making his way to pit road for his first green-flag stop of the day at Lap 42, Busch was unable to get across and into his stall. As a result, he had to ride around and then come back a second time to get his four tires and fuel.

That dropped Busch all the way to the rear of the field, and he was eventually put a lap down. Fortunately for him, his JGR teammate Denny Hamlin was in the lead pack and Hamlin promptly tucked in behind Busch to get him in position for the “free pass” back to the lead lap.

A caution flag on Lap 78 ensured that Busch got the free pass, and the race was on from there. Busch would be a threat late, leading three times for nine laps, before he was shuffled back in the final laps.

Busch was part of the single-file pack on the high line during those last circuits, and he too seemed surprised that a train of cars on the low line never rose up to challenge them.

“It was interesting that everybody stuck up on the outside that long and certainly that was the fastest way around,” Busch said. “There wasn’t anyone making up any time on the bottom.

“I figured that a lot of people would try to and be able to make up some time, but a couple tried and never made anything happen. We ended up with a decent finish here today, so that’s all we could ask for.”

Daniel Ricciardo to decide soon about moving from Red Bull to another F1 team

Getty Images
Leave a comment

LE CASTELLET, France (AP) Daniel Ricciardo says over the next six weeks he wants to decide between staying at Red Bull or joining another Formula One team for next year.

Ricciardo said on Thursday at the French Grand Prix, “It would be nice to go on the summer break knowing what I am doing.”

F1 is working its way toward its three-week break in August with speculation mounting that Mercedes, Ferrari, and McLaren are interested in luring Ricciardo away from Red Bull for 2019.

“I will be honest, everyone is talking about Mercedes and Ferrari as potential places for me to go, and I am aware that there will be interest from other teams,” he said.

The Australian driver has won seven races in his four-plus seasons with Red Bull. He is fourth in the standings behind leader Sebastian Vettel heading into the race at the Paul Ricard Circuit near Marseille.

Ricciardo’s stock has risen in recent months after his victories in Shanghai and Monaco. His Monaco win was particularly impressive because Ricciardo had to deploy some masterful defensive driving to protect his lead after losing an estimated 25 percent of his engine power.

Ricciardo said he had not directly spoken to rivals Ferrari and Mercedes, but he hedged when asked if his manager had.

“People talk, have coffees, I will leave that one open-ended,” he said with a laugh.

Ricciardo called the decision on whether to go or stay with Red Bull the biggest choice of his career following his decision to leave his native Australia and continue his racing career in Europe over a decade ago.

“For sure the priority is to get a car to win the world title because I really believe I can,” he said. “I am slightly careful because it is easy to think the grass is greener and maybe it is, but I also have it pretty good where I am.

“People do like a change but just to make change for the sake of making a change is not enough for me. I need to find some substance behind it to jump ship.”

Red Bull announced recently it would be ending its 12-year partnership with engine-maker Renault and switching to Honda motors for next year.

Ricciardo was hesitant to endorse or criticize the change, saying he was going to “try to keep putting the pieces together if it is a good move.”

But with the question of the engine manufacturer out of the way, Ricciardo said Red Bull would likely be looking to resolve its drivers’ lineup for next year.

“I haven’t been pushed yet, but I would say that there will be some movement in the next week,” he said. “Whether that is something that gets put down on paper (or not), for sure the discussions will start to ramp up in the next few days.”