Lotus targeting third place in constructors’ championship

0 Comments

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has conceded that finishing in second place in the constructors’ championship may be just out of reach, instead setting his sights on Ferrari who occupy third place with two races remaining.

Just thirty-seven points separate Mercedes, Ferrari and Lotus in the race for the runners-up spot in the constructors’, with Red Bull clinching their fourth successive title at the Indian Grand Prix last month. However, with Lotus trailing Ferrari by just eleven points and the Italian team currently in a poor run of form, Boullier believes that moving ahead of them is the more realistic target for the Enstone-based team.

“There are two races left and eighty-six points available, so mathematically it’s still possible and we’re not going to stop pushing in any regard,” he said. “Of course, to score maximum points you need to occupy the top steps of the podium and there’s a Red Bull plus Sebastian Vettel shaped problem there. Certainly for us, it would be good if Seb took an early winter holiday!

“Looking at the standings and how the teams have been scoring in the last few races, you would have to say that third certainly looks to be a little more within reach, but our approach is the same; to keep pushing all the way.”

Kimi Raikkonen will be keen to shake off his bad luck from Abu Dhabi after being excluded from qualifying and then retiring on the first lap of the race, whilst Romain Grosjean could continue to lead the team’s charge after four straight top four finishes.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.