Sutil: COTA looks like “one of the better new tracks”

Leave a comment

Adrian Sutil says he’s looking forward to racing at the Circuit of the Americas for the first time this weekend as it seems to be a better example of a modern racing track.

Sutil did not feature in the inaugural race at the track last year as he’d been replaced at Force India by Nico Hulkenberg.

“I’ve heard lots of good things about the Circuit of The America,” said Sutil.

“From what I’ve seen it appears to be one of the better new generation tracks, so I’m looking forward to getting there and trying it for myself”.

“It’s a very unusual lap with a big variation of corners. The first sector is interesting with so many turns one after the other and it looks like there are some nice high-speed corners. The feedback I’ve heard is very positive and everyone says it’s smooth and enjoyable to drive.”

Sutil’s only previous F1 race in America was the last grand prix on the Indianapolis road track in 2007, which he finished 14th for Spyker.

Force India head into this weekend’s race enjoying an upswing of form in an otherwise disappointing second half of the season. “It’s good to be scoring points again,” Sutil reflected. “It’s not been easy and we’ve taken some brave decisions with the strategy and that paid us back.”

“But at the same time you always want to improve and there are still some areas with the car balance where we can make some gains. Hopefully we can make some progress so that I feel more comfortable in Austin.”

New Formula E champ, teammate fined for ‘underwear violation’

Getty Images
Leave a comment

During this past weekend’s pair of season-ending races in New York, newly-crowned Formula E champion Jean-Eric Vergne and Techeetah teammate Andre Lotterer were fined nearly $6,000 apiece for, well, there’s no easier way to say it than, “underwear violations.”

According to Jalopnik.com, the two drivers were fined for “wearing non-compliant” underwear during qualifying for Sunday’s second and final race of the weekend.

In addition to cash, the duo also lost two penalty points each for violating Article 30.14 of the Formula E 2017/2018 regulations.

In case you’re wondering, the violation has nothing to do with not wearing the right sponsor’s brand of jockeys or boxers.

Rather, Formula E ruled the underwear the drivers wore was a “safety issue” and that the drivers were penalized for wearing “non-compliant” underwear.

Drivers are required to wear fire- and flame-resistant outer- and under-garments while behind the wheel to help minimize the risk of being burned in the event of a crash and resulting fire.

Here’s how Formula E characterized the violation in a statement about Vergne’s penalty

“After checking the clothes, helmet and front head restraint of the driver, it was found that he was wearing non-compliant underwear pants which are not allowed by the [FIA’s] international sporting code. The driver apologized. The stewards consider that in this case the infringement occurred during group qualifying with limited cars on circuit for a short period of time.”

It’s not the first time Formula E drivers have been penalized for having on the wrong kind of drawers.

Former F-E champ Lucas di Grassi was penalized three points and nearly $10,000 in March for fire-resistant underwear that FIA officials called “too short.”

Gee, who knew that pre-qualifying “inspection” could be so personal?

Follow @JerryBonkowski