WEC is “closest thing to Formula One” – Webber

1 Comment

Mark Webber says he’s not concerned about missing out on Formula One’s radical technological overhaul next year he “will have that” through his move to Porsche.

Webber is leaving Red Bull after this weekend’s race to join Porsche’s World Endurance Championship squad.

“Technically they are very advanced and the closest thing to a Formula One car,” Webber told the official F1 website.

“I want a different environment, a different series – to get a bit more balance,” Webber explained. “Most of the decision is for the off-track stuff. You want to have more balance away from the racing.”

This year’s World Endurance Championship features eight events to F1’s 19.

“It will not be a rocket ship to success,” Webber said of his impending switch. “We have to work hard.”

“But it is a super famous company – one of the most famous automotive brands in the world – so that is very exciting for me.”

Webber will also be returning to the Le Mans 24 Hours endurance race. He previously competed with Mercedes at the La Sarthe track but suffered two high-speed crashes in which his car flipped over violently.

“I still have unfinished business at Le Mans,” Webber added. “I loved racing at Le Mans, even if we had tough times there.”

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.