There have been several confirmations and tests in the Mazda Road to Indy ladder over the last few weeks. Here’s a round-up:
- Lloyd Read has signed with Bryan Herta Autosport with Jeffrey Mark Motorsport. Neither operation ran full seasons in 2013; Read steps up with Pro Mazda, where he raced with JDC Motorsports.
- Canadian Zack Meyer has signed to the No. 2 car with Team Moore Racing. Meyer was Read’s Pro Mazda teammate at JDC.
- Announced at Fontana, Matthew “Matty” Brabham steps up to Andretti Autosport from Pro Mazda, and will team with Zach Veach in his second year. Brabham just completed his first test in the Lights car.
- Pro Mazda drivers Colombian Juan Piedrahita and American Spencer Pigot, along with Australian Formula 3 driver Hayden Cooper and English F3 driver Jack Harvey, have tested for Sam Schmidt’s team.
- Team Pelfrey has signed Brazilian Luis Felipe “Pipo” Derani and Canadian Dalton Kellett to its lineup. Kellett raced in all three divisions of the Road to Indy in 2013.
- Michael Johnson steps up from USF2000 to Pro Mazda with the same team, JDC. Johnson’s perhaps the most inspirational story in American open-wheel racing, as a paralyzed driver who races with hand controls.
- Belardi Auto Racing has signed Daniel Burkett, Michael Epps and Florian Latorre for 2014. Burkett and Epps return to the team with Latorre switching from JAY Motorsports.
- Clark Toppe has re-signed with JDC for a second season in the series. Toppe also raced a Kia Forte Koup at two Pirelli World Challenge Touring Car weekends.
- Aaron Telitz has won the Skip Barber shootout this winter with the reward a full-season ride in USF2000 at a team to be determined.
- Group-A Racing has tested at New Jersey Motorsports Park with Jonathan Scarallo.