IndyCar Driver Review: Ed Carpenter

1 Comment

With the IndyCar season in the books and a limited amount of news to come since the season finale at Fontana, my MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada and are taking a look back at the 2013 season just past. Chris and I each ranked our top 10 drivers and some of the biggest stories; now we take a look back at the field driver-by-driver.

P16 was your Indianapolis 500 polesitter, Ed Carpenter…

2013 SEASON PREVIEW

Ed Carpenter

  • Team: Ed Carpenter Racing
  • 2012: 18th Place, 1 Win, Best Start 5th
  • 2013: 16th Place, Best Finish 2nd, 1 Pole, 1 Podium, 3 Top-5, 4 Top-10, 56 Laps Led, 17.6 Avg. Start, 15.1 Avg. Finish

DiZinno says: Carpenter’s season highlight of course is the dramatic Indianapolis 500 pole, and a second place at Fontana was a deserved result after a great drive. Other than that it was more of the same for the series’ lone owner/driver on track, a true contender on ovals and a consistent improver on the road and street courses, save for a couple mistakes at Toronto and Houston. He had to fight through adversity off track with Derrick Walker leaving the team for a post at INDYCAR directly, and also with a transporter fire after a Fontana test in September. On both occasions, though, the team pressed ahead.

Estrada says: In what proved to be his final full-time campaign for the time being (he’s brought in Mike Conway to do the road races in his No. 20 machine next year), Carpenter kept rolling along on the ovals with five Top-10s in six speedway races, including a runner-up in the season finale at Fontana. But any time you can beat Team Penske and Andretti Autosport for the Indy 500 pole in front of your fellow Hoosiers, that’s your major highlight of the year. The former USAC product also continued his development on the twisty tracks, but while he closed the gap somewhat to his rivals, any gap at all is magnified in a field this tough. Perhaps he had that in mind when he decided to bring Conway on for 2014…

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.