NASCAR announces changes to Hall of Fame eligibility

1 Comment

Multiple changes have been announced this morning by NASCAR regarding drivers’ eligibility for being elected into the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Going forward, drivers that have competed for at least 10 seasons and have turned 55 years old on or before Dec. 31 of the year prior to the nominating year are eligible.

Additionally, drivers that have competed for at least 30 seasons (again, on or before Dec. 31 of the year prior to the nominating year) are now eligible regardless of age. Drivers also can continuing competing after surpassing those milestones without compromising eligibility.

These tweaks in particular will widen the pool of potential inductees as Sprint Cup legends such as Mark Martin, Bill Elliott, and Terry Labonte are now in line for induction.

Other tweaks were made in regards to naming nominees for the Hall of Fame. The nomination committee’s ballots will now select just 20 nominees each year, down from its previous mark of 25.

Also, the committee will now meet in-person to vote on those nominees; previously, the committee had submitted their choices to an independent accounting firm that tallied the nominations to create the final ballot. Hall of Fame nominees are now recused from the nominating and voting process as well.

The Hall of Fame will also create a new “Landmark Award,” which will go into effect with the Class of 2015. The award will recognize outstanding contributions to the sport and winners can range from competitors to those working in the sport in other roles (racing organization, tracks, media, sponsors, et al.).

Five nominees will be chosen for the “Landmark Award” and will then be voted on by the Hall of Fame’s voting panel.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.