Pre-Chris Griffis Test Mazda Road to Indy news and notes

Leave a comment

A few minor bits and pieces of news around the IndyCar Series and the Mazda Road to Indy have popped up over the last couple weeks. Here’s a quick roundup, since the last one we did a couple of weeks ago:

  • Besides Tony Kanaan having his first running in Chip Ganassi Racing IndyCar machinery, Francesco Dracone completed his two-day test with Dale Coyne Racing at Sebring as well. Dracone had an accident on the first day but was able to return on the second. The Italian ran two less than distinguished races for Conquest Racing in 2010.
  • Cape Motorsports with Wayne Taylor Racing has announced it will expand its operations into Pro Mazda, beyond its USF2000 team. The team has revealed two of its 2014 drivers. Neil Alberico will move up from Cape’s USF2000 team to Pro Mazda, while Jake Eidson will be set for a full USF2000 season for Cape after running in F1600 in 2013. Both are Team USA Scholarship recipients; Alberico won in 2011 and Eidson, along with Mazda MX-5 Cup Shootout winner Joey Bickers, are 2013 winners.
  • Pabst Racing Services has signed 18-year-old Colorado driver Will Owen for its USF2000 team. Belardi Auto Racing signed French driver Nico Jamin as its fourth USF2000 driver for 2014.
  • CoForce International, LLC, founded by Pro Mazda veteran driver Anders Krohn, announced a partnership with the Team Pelfrey organization. Krohn, CoForce CEO, will serve as the team’s director of performance and driver development and business partner Jonathan Baker, CoForce CFO, will serve as director of business development for Team Pelfrey and the new Pelfrey Performance initiative.
  • Juncos Racing will have Spencer Pigot, Alfonso Celis, Jose Gutierrez and Kyle Kaiser testing the team’s Pro Mazda cars at next week’s Chris Griffis Memorial Mazda Road to Indy test at Barber Motorsports Park. All bar Celis raced in the 2013 Pro Mazda season, with Gutierrez making a handful of starts for Juncos.
  • Englishman Harrison Scott will also be at next week’s Griffis test, with a team to be announced. A full entry list for the Dec. 9-10 test should be made available soon.

Conor Daly honors friend killed Saturday amid Indianapolis unrest

Chris Graythen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

IndyCar driver Conor Daly posted a poignant tribute to Chris Beaty, a former Indiana University football player and Indianapolis business owner who was killed Saturday amid protests and rioting in the city.

Daly said he got to know Beaty, who owned an event and marketing promotions company, five years ago when he was organizing Indianapolis 500 afterparties.

Daly annually had been involved in Beaty’s parties since then and said Beaty helped get him home earlier this year when Daly’s blood sugar crashed while at an event.

TAKING A STAND: Lewis Hamilton speaks out on racial strife

“The world lost a tremendous person. RIP Chris Beaty,” wrote Daly, who also tweeted “The violence has to stop.”

According to the Indianapolis Star, Beaty died after suffering multiple gunshot wounds during Saturday night’s unrest in downtown Indianapolis. It’s unclear if the shooting was tied to the protests.

Graham Rahal also posted about his interaction with Beaty.

Daly, Rahal and the rest of the IndyCar Series will return to action Saturday night at Texas Motor Speedway (8 p.m. ET, NBC).