Initial upgrades to Indianapolis Motor Speedway approved

1 Comment

Preliminary plans from Hulman & Co. to invest state funds into upgrades for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway have been approved by the Indiana Motorsports Commission. The ambitious plans focus on three areas: track modifications, fan experience and technology.

In regards to the track, upgrades identified include the installation of an apron for use in the Speedway’s NASCAR events such as the Brickyard 400 (something that Hulman CEO Mark Miles foreshadowed last week in Las Vegas). According to the Speedway, the apron will cost less than $1 million.

Also identified were the refurbishing of catch fencing and the recently-completed repaving and reconfiguration of IMS’ road course in advance of the inaugural Grand Prix of Indianapolis in May of 2014.

Noticeable was the lack of a lighting system around the 2.5-mile oval, which was initially seen as a possibility for the track due to the hot Indiana summers that Brickyard 400 fans must endure annually.

However, the Speedway said in a release that “economic studies showed this $20-million investment did not provide the best return for taxpayers.”

For fan experience, the Speedway has listed many improvements such as more comfortable seating, a bigger number of elevators for better grandstand access and suite renovations. Also on the agenda are a new scoring pylon and video screens, modernized restrooms, and more concession choices.

Technology-wise, the Speedway plans to have wireless access throughout the facility and “state-of-the-art data, video and audio availability” to go with that.

“We started with ideas for improvements that totaled hundreds of millions of dollars, and we’ve reduced our list to a list of potential projects with total spending of about $140 million,” Hulman president and chief administrative officer Jeff Belskus in a statement. “Now we have some difficult decisions ahead to pare the list further before we ask the commission for its approval.”

Additional improvements to IMS beyond the funds managed by the Commission will be included in a master plan that’s set to be released this coming spring.

Earlier this year, legislation was passed by the Indiana state government that created a motorsports investment district around IMS that will help fund the upgrades by collecting sales and income taxes on the property.

The same legislation also created a fund for motorsport-based businesses in Indiana to apply for loans that can help improve their own facilities.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.