Six years into his Formula One career, Adrian Sutil has still not yet tasted champagne during an Formula One podium celebration. As he makes the switch from Force India to Sauber, the German is keen on changing that.
“I’m convinced that we will have a successful time – and I’m looking very much forward to my first podium,” Sutil said in a Q&A on F1’s official website. “Sauber have had some podiums in the past and that is exactly what I want.”
Lack of success getting into the Top 3 notwithstanding, Sutil has proven relatively reliable in gaining small chunks of points with the occasional big hauls such as his fifth-place run this year in Monaco.
However, while Sauber got more and more solid toward the end of 2013, the raft of changes coming to the cars in 2014 effectively wipes the slate clean. But Sutil said he simply needed new surroundings after spending his entire F1 life racing for the Force India/Spyker outfit.
“[Sauber and I] were in contact for a long time,” he said. “It had been my wish to have a change after six good years with Force India – and Sauber was my priority. My manager has been in contact with them since autumn – and around that time, I visited the factory in Hinwil [Switzerland] for the first time.”
Unconcerned about the matter of which teammate he would prefer at Sauber (“to be honest, I don’t care,” he says), Sutil also expressed his thanks to Force India for getting him back into the sport this past season following his 2012 conviction on aggravated assault charges.
“I have had a good and successful time with Force India,” he said of his now-former mates. “They gave me the chance to come back – and this fact will always have a special place in my heart.
“For sure, I will miss some of the guys there that have turned into friends over the years, but now I’m excited to be with my new team. Let’s see if it is true that new brooms sweep clean.”
The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.
IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.
This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.
INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists
IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.
“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.
“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”
It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.