IndyCar files lawsuit against Sao Paulo race promoters (UPDATED)

1 Comment

The IndyCar Series has recently filed a lawsuit against Sao Paulo Indy 300 promoter Grupo Bandeirantes.

Anthony Schoettle of the Indianapolis Business Journal relays word from a source that says the series is seeking just under $10 million for the annual sanctioning feed. IndyCar (going by its legal name of ‘Indy Racing League LLC’) transferred the lawsuit against Bandeirantes on Dec. 12.

Attorneys from law firm Ice Miller LLP have been listed to represent IndyCar in the case, which has one William T. Lawrence named as the judge.

The Sao Paulo Indy 300 ran from 2010 to 2013, but did not make the 2014 IndyCar Series schedule upon release in mid-October. At the time, Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles noted that the Sao Paulo event could still happen.

Schoettle writes that in the lawsuit, Bandeirantes officials told the series that the race could not continue due to planned road work and closures in and around the race circuit. However, IndyCar argues that the promoter was contractually obligated to find another suitable place to race.

Furthermore, the lawsuit claims Sao Paulo mayor Fernando Haddad had stated in a letter to the promoters that while part of the course would be unavailable due to the construction, the race could still be held on an altered or relocated course. Instead, according to the lawsuit, Bandeirantes officials traveled to Indianapolis and said the race could not be held in 2014.

But what is interesting to note from Schoettle’s piece is that IndyCar apparently still desires to return to Brazil despite the suit. This is understandable on the series’ part, considering that the race has attracted a strong following – no doubt bolstered by having the likes of Brazilian IndyCar drivers Tony Kanaan and Helio Castroneves on the grid.

Depending on how the case goes, perhaps that hope isn’t long gone after all. Again, we’ll keep tabs on the story as it develops further.

Red Bull driver Verstappen wins Formula One’s Brazilian GP

NELSON ALMEIDA/AFP via Getty Images
2 Comments

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen won Formula One’s Brazilian Grand Prix on Sunday for his eighth career victory in a race which ended disastrously for both Ferrari drivers.

Verstappen controlled nearly all the race at Interlagos, which saw a dramatic late collision between Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc when they fought for the fourth position. Both failed to finish.

Toro Rosso’s Pierre Gasly got his first F1 podium after finishing second ahead of six-time F1 champion Lewis Hamilton. The Mercedes driver was third but faces an investigation after an incident that caused Red Bull’s Alexander Albon to spin.

Hamilton, who won at Interlagos in 2018, said Verstappen was “just quicker than us on the straights” and “there was nothing more we could do.”

Dutch driver Verstappen said “Lewis was very quick so I had to keep pushing… we had two good moves with him, and from there onward I could control the race.”

McLaren’s Carlos Sainz was fourth, and could be promoted to third if Hamilton is punished.

The Brazilian GP on Sunday was the penultimate race of the season, with only Abu Dhabi left on Dec.1.

Hamilton had already secured the season title in the previous race in the United States. His Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas, who did not finish the race, had also secured the runner-up spot.