The first bit of on-track action for 2014 occurs later this week at Daytona, the Roar Before the 24 test for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. There’s still many seats to be filled before the race but here’s a few of the notable or surprise names listed on the updated entry list, issued Monday:
- Wayne Taylor, No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette DP (P)
- AJ Allmendinger/Justin Wilson, No. 60 Michael Shank Racing Ford EcoBoost Riley (P)
- Graham Rahal, No. 56 BMW Team RLL BMW Z4 GTLM (GTLM)
- Shane van Gisbergen, No. 22 Alex Job Racing Porsche 911 GT America (GTD)
- Alex Riberas, No. 23 AJR/Team Seattle Porsche 911 GT America (GTD)
- Connor De Phillippi, No. 73 Park Place Motorsports Porsche 911 GT America (GTD)
- Dane Cameron, No. 94 Turner Motorsport BMW Z4 GTD (GTD)
Those are notable for a few reasons. Taylor hasn’t raced in half a decade and instead has left his sons, Ricky and Jordan, to carry on the family name in prototypes. Allmendinger and Wilson have teamed up for years at MSR and seem poised to do likewise this year. Rahal would have a go in his father Bobby’s BMW; some of his prior sports car starts have come in Porsches, but he was part of the BMW-Riley DP that Chip Ganassi Racing won overall with in 2011. Van Gisbergen is an Australian V8 Supercars star. Riberas and De Phillippi are Porsche Juniors, and Cameron is one of the most valuable free agents on the market with the news his Team Sahlen operation isn’t running its DPs next year.
The test takes place January 3-5.