Ex-Marussia driver Luiz Razia looking at IndyCar seat in 2014?

Leave a comment

Luiz Razia appeared ready to ascend to Formula One last winter but was unable to hold onto his ride at Marussia (pictured) due to sponsorship issues. Now the Brazilian driver may be looking at the IndyCar Series instead.

While also mentioning the DTM touring car series as another possibility, Razia recently told French site SportAuto that he has the agent of former Indianapolis 500 winner and two-time CART champion Gil de Ferran talking to IndyCar teams about a potential program in 2014.

After serving as a test driver for Virgin Racing (now Marussia) in 2010 and Team Lotus (now Caterham) in 2011, Razia finished second in the 2012 GP2 championship and signed with Marussia this past February.

But the aforementioned funding problems forced Marussia to terminate its contract with him, and the team wound up replacing him with Jules Bianchi, who put together a quietly impressive first season despite having little time to get used to the team and its car. With his F1 hopes dashed, Razia kept busy this season in the International GT Open sports car series.

Razia has also taken time to share his two cents on Toro Rosso’s decision to pass over Antonio Felix da Costa in favor of 19-year-old Russian driver Daniil Kvyat for a 2014 race seat in F1.

da Costa has landed a test role with World Champions Red Bull instead, but Razia still believes that da Costa should have gotten the Toro Rosso seat.

“The strange thing is not the fact that [Kvyat] is coming from GP3,” he said to Brazilian publication TotalRace. “A driver can demonstrate his talent in many categories. What I’m saying it that there is a loss of momentum.”

Razia also noted da Costa’s competitiveness in Formula Renault 3.5 this past year; he earned three wins and wound up third in the championship behind winner Kevin Magnussen (who is now preparing for his rookie F1 campaign with McLaren) and Stoffel Vandoorne.

While admitting that he is “the devil’s advocate” as he is a friend of da Costa’s, Razia feels other factors were at play in Kvyat’s promotion such as a need to have a Russian on the grid for the country’s inaugural Grand Prix this coming season at Sochi.

“[F1] is a very political category, and [Kvyat] is even sponsored by a Russian bank,” he said. “Toro Rosso has difficulties, as everyone does, so it was a situation where everything fell into place for him.”

Sergio Perez still has coronavirus; will miss second consecutive F1 race

F1 Sergio Perez out
Laurent Charniaux/Pool via Getty Images
Leave a comment

SILVERSTONE, England — Sergio Perez will be out for a second F1 race at Silverstone this week after again testing positive for the coronavirus.

The Mexican driver had hoped to return to Formula One after spending seven days in quarantine, but his Racing Point team said this morning he had tested positive.

“He is physically well and recovering,” the team said. “The whole team wishes Sergio and his family well and we look forward to his return.”

That means German veteran Nico Hulkenberg again fills in for Sunday’s 70th Anniversary Grand Prix after having also replaced Sergio Perez when he was out for the F1 British Grand Prix at the same venue last week. Hulkenberg did not start that race because of an engine problem.

There are two consecutive weekends of racing at Silverstone as Formula One tries to pack in races following the pandemic-delayed start to the season.

Perez became the first Formula One driver to test positive for coronavirus, and it had been unclear whether he would be available to drive after the period of quarantine was extended to 10 days.

Racing Point also was in the news Friday after being hit with a 15-point penalty in the Formula One constructors’ championship and fined 400,000 euros ($470,000) Friday for using brake ducts based on those from last year’s Mercedes cars.

The stewards ruled that Mercedes was the “principal designer” of the parts, and that Racing Point made only minor changes to computer design data it received from Mercedes.

Rival team Renault filed protests about the legality of the brake ducts, which were added to the “listed parts” under F1 rules for 2020. That means teams must design their own. Racing Point argued it was merely using information about the Mercedes parts to inform its own design.

Racing Point uses customer engines from Mercedes and has admitted basing its 2020 car design on photographs of last year’s Mercedes car. The similarities led to the Racing Point being nicknamed the “pink Mercedes” when it was first seen in testing ahead of the season.

Racing Point can appeal the ruling. The points deduction drops the team from fifth to sixth in the standings, below Renault. The ruling doesn’t affect the points totals for Racing Point’s drivers.